Cheap Wedge Salad RecipeYum
The classic wedge salad ranks very high in terms of the cheapest salad recipes ever. And it couldn’t be much easier to make. This is a great summer salad that goes well with grilled steak or chicken. You could also throw in some homemade croutons to make it a light main course.
My trick that makes this salad effortless to put together? Buy some of the toppings from the grocery store salad bar. Some – but not all – of the ingredients cost less when you purchase them from the salad bar. My favorite item to purchase pre-made is bacon. All of the flavor, none of the mess, a fraction of the cost.
Here’s a breakdown of what I paid:
- One head of iceberg lettuce = $1.30
- One half of an avocado = $.50 (a whole avocado was $1.00)
- Grape tomatoes, bacon bits, and blue cheese from the grocery store salad bar = $1.79
This salad served four, so the total cost per serving? About $.89. How’s that for a cheap salad recipe?
Cheap Wedge Salad Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 10 min
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 avocado, cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- To make salad, cut iceberg lettuce head into four equal pieces. Lay each lettuce wedge on a plate. Top with avocado, bacon bits, tomatoes, and blue cheese crumbles.
- To make dressing, place all ingredients into a blender and pulse a few times so everything combines. Add a pinch of salt and/or sugar to taste. Spoon dressing over lettuce wedges right before serving.