Baked Sweet Potato Chips RecipeYum
Sweet potato chips are one of my all-time favorite snacks. I like to make this homemade oven-baked version when I have a little extra time. They’re super healthy (superfood, anyone?) and not loaded with fat like store-bought sweet potato chips. Since these are baked with a little olive oil, they still turn out crisp and delicious.
One large sweet potato is enough for a hearty snack for one – which makes for a pretty cheap snack recipe. I sometimes buy a bag of sweet potatoes, which is generally cheaper than purchasing them individually. But no matter how you buy them, sweet potatoes are generally an inexpensive food item.
How To Get Super Thin Potato Slices
You will want to use a mandoline slicer to thinly and uniformly slice the potatoes for this recipe. I use my mandoline slicer to slice all sorts of produce like cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and apples. Remember to be extremely careful when using a mandoline, because you’re working with a very sharp blade.
If sweet potatoes aren’t your thing, try these homemade potato chips (instructions included for making them in the microwave, oven, and deep fryer).
Baked Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
Yield: Serves one
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 8 min
- 1 large sweet potato or yam
- Olive oil
- Spice blend (see note above)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place a large baking sheet in the oven as it heats.
- Peel the sweet potato. Adjust the mandoline slicer to the thinnest or second thinnest setting (I used the second thinnest setting, which made the chips a little thicker and more dip-worthy).
- Place sweet potato slices in a large bowl. Pour in some olive oil (a tablespoon or a little more per potato) and stir to coat potato slices.
- Take the hot baking sheet out of the oven. Place potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet, avoiding overlapping. Sprinkle with desired spice blend. Place in oven and bake for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until sweet potato chips are crisp and slightly browned. Your baking time may vary depending on your oven, so be sure to check chips around the 5 minute mark.
- Serve with your choice of dip. I used a dip made of sour cream, mayonnaise, and adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.