Falafel Salad Recipe
Bean based dishes – like falafel – are a golden ticket for people looking for cheap yet delicious meal ideas. Things get even more exciting when you take a classic cheap dish and mix it up. Take, for example, this salad. While you can certainly eat the falafel on their own, I think it’s more fun to serve them on top of a crisp salad.
The word “salad” brings thoughts of hunger to anyone looking for a hearty meal. This particular salad is great if you’re looking for something a little more substantial than a simple mix of greens and vegetables. Add some pita bread or homemade pita chips on the side, and no one will complain.
Liz over at Carpe Season made her own version of this recipe. Doesn’t it look amazing?
(photo courtesy of Carpe Season)
Want to save money on Feta cheese? Check out the grocery store salad bar, where you can get enough cheese for this salad for about 50 cents. This is a good trick to have up your sleeve if you need a small amount of an ingredient for a recipe and want to avoid purchasing an entire package.
Falafel Salad Recipe
Yield: Approximately 20 falafel
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 6 min
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of each: Sea salt, garlic powder, hot pepper flakes, paprika
- Olive oil, for frying
- Mixed greens or mesclun greens
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- Your choice of salad dressing (Such as olive oil/balsamic vinegar blend, tzatziki sauce, or creamy Feta dressing)
- Mash chickpeas with the back of a fork until fairly uniform - you still want a few chunks of chickpea left in the falafel. Mix in garlic, onion, olive oil, flour, lemon juice, parsley, and dried spices. Form into small patties, about the size of an Oreo cookie.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Place falafel patties in the pan and cook for approximately three minutes on each side, or until nicely browned. Place falafel on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Place salad greens and tomatoes on a large serving platter. Place falafel on the salad and top with Feta cheese. Serve with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, tzatziki sauce, or creamy Feta dressing.