The $10 Food Day: Amazing 3-Ingredient Pasta Sauce Recipe
I’m not a pasta person. I’d much rather have pizza, soup or a sandwich. But this particular pasta sauce has made me a believer.
Don’t be fooled. While there are only three ingredients in this cheap pasta sauce recipe – tomatoes, butter, and onion – you would never know it. It’s rich, creamy, and full of flavor. That’s why I call it amazing 3-ingredient pasta sauce.
This recipe – which has been making its rounds on the Internet – was originally developed by the Italian cook and writer Marcella Hazan. I discovered it on one of my favorite recipe blogs, Savoury Table.
- Large can of tomatoes = $1.68
- Butter (5 tablespoons) = $.55
- Onion (1/2 large onion) = $.20
- Pasta (1 pound) = $.88
Total cost for four people = $3.31
Cheap recipe tip: Buy a bag of onions, instead of individual ones, for ultimate cost savings.
This recipe is part of the $10 Food Day series, which features four recipes (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack) that will feed a family of four for less than $10 – for the entire day. View the other $10 Food Day recipes:
Welcome to Cheap Recipe Blog! I’m so glad you’re here. If this is your first time visiting, please browse the site for more cheap recipes, subscribe to my feed, and like my Facebook page so we can stay in touch.
Amazing 3-Ingredient Pasta Sauce Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 55 min
- 1 pound of pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion (cut straight down the middle)
- Place tomatoes, butter, and onion half in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 45 minutes, remove from heat and remove and discard the onion.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the tomato sauce. If you don't have an immersion blender, allow the sauce to cool, place in a blender, and puree until smooth. Reheat the sauce before serving.
- Serve over pasta.