Wonton Wrapper Mozzarella Sticks RecipeYum
There’s something about fried cheese that makes me weak in the knees. Maybe it’s the upper-Midwesterner in me. We’re all about our fried cheese curds and other hot cheese snacks up here.
Ever been to the Minnesota State Fair? Then you know what I mean.
This recipe kind of happened by chance. I had half a package of wonton wrappers leftover after making homemade potstickers. I also happened to have some mozzarella string cheese sticks in my fridge.
I decided to put the two together, and within a matter of minutes, I was noshing on crispy-on-the-outside, oozing-melty-cheese-on-the-inside mozzarella sticks.
Sometimes things just work out in life, you know?
The Cost: 53 Cents Each
This is a super cheap appetizer recipe that I think you’re going to love. Here’s what I paid:
- Egg roll wrappers (package of 15/$3.00) $.20 each
- String cheese = $.33 each
Total cost per mozzarella stick = $.53
No Deep-Fryer Required!
These are super easy to make – no deep fryer required! I just pan fried them in a little bit of cooking oil. Just make sure to rotate the sticks as they turn brown. Once you’re done, the egg roll wrapper will be browned and crispy, and the cheese will be melted and oozy.
Make This Variation: Pizza Sticks
If you want to make these into pizza sticks, wrap a couple of slices of pepperoni around the mozzarella stick before rolling up and frying. Homemade pizza sticks couldn’t be easier.
First time visiting Cheap Recipe Blog? Stay in touch by following me on Instagram.
Wonton Wrapper Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
Yield: 8 mozzarella sticks
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
- 8 mozzarella sticks (string cheese)
- 8 wonton wrappers
- Oil, for frying
- To assemble mozzarella sticks, place a wonton wrapper on the counter in a diamond shape. Place the string cheese at the bottom of the diamond. Roll up, tucking in the left and right sides of the wonton wrappers. Make sure that there are no rips or tears in the wonton wrapper or the cheese will come oozing out. Secure the edges of the wonton wrappers with a bit of water.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Use just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. No need to submerge the mozzarella sticks in oil. To test whether the oil is hot enough, dip the end of the mozzarella stick in the oil. If it sizzles, it's ready. Place a mozzarella stick in the oil. Fry on one side until golden brown. Turn over to brown the other side.
- Remove from pan and place on a plate covered with paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve with your choice of dipping sauce.
Want More Wonton Wrapper Recipes? Check Out These:
- Wonton crackers
- Asparagus-cream cheese wonton fries
- Turkey and cranberry wontons
- Mango chicken wontons
- Buffalo chicken wontons
- Cheesy hot dog wontons
- Wonton pepperoni pizzas
- Banana-Nutella egg rolls