Wonton Wrapper Mozzarella Sticks Recipe

Wonton wrapper mozzarella sticks recipe

There’s something about fried cheese that makes me weak in the knees. Maybe it’s the upper-Midwesterner in me. We’re all about our fried cheese curds and other hot cheese snacks up here. Ever been to the Minnesota State Fair? Then you know what I mean.

Wonton wrapper Mozzarella sticks recipe

This recipe kind of happened by chance. I had half a package of wonton wrappers leftover after making potstickers. I also happened to have some mozzarella string cheese sticks in my fridge – which never happens. I decided to put the two together, and within a matter of minutes, I was noshing on crispy-on-the-outside, oozing-melty-cheese-on-the-inside mozzarella sticks. Sometimes things just work out in life, you know?

Wonton wrapper mozzarella sticks recipe

The Cost

This is a super cheap appetizer recipe that I think you’re going to love. Here’s what I paid:

• Egg roll wrappers (package of 15/$3.00) $.20 each
  • String cheese = $.33 each

Total cost per mozzarella stick = $.53

Wonton wrapper mozzarella sticks recipe

These are super easy to make – no deep fryer required! I just pan fried them in a little bit of cooking oil. Just make sure to rotate the sticks as they turn brown. Once you’re done, the egg roll wrapper will be browned and crispy, and the cheese will be melted and oozy.

If you want to make these into pizza sticks, wrap a couple of slices of pepperoni around the mozzarella stick before rolling up and frying. Homemade pizza sticks couldn’t be easier.

homemade wonton wrapper mozzarella sticks recipe

First time visiting Cheap Recipe Blog? Get all the latest recipes and updates by liking my Facebook page. (I don’t spam. I promise!)

Want to get even more creative with a wonton wrapper? Check out these fun recipes:

Print Print Save Save

Wonton Wrapper Mozzarella Sticks Recipe

Yield: 8 mozzarella sticks

Prep Time: 5 min

Cook Time: 5 min

Serve these crispy mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, or your favorite dipping sauce.

Ingredients:

8 mozzarella sticks (string cheese)
8 wonton wrappers
Oil, for frying

Directions:

To assemble mozzarella sticks, place a wonton wrapper on the counter in a diamond shape. Place the string cheese at the bottom of the diamond. Roll up, tucking in the left and right sides of the wonton wrappers. Make sure that there are no rips or tears in the wonton wrapper or the cheese will come oozing out. Secure the edges of the wonton wrappers with a bit of water.
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Use just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. No need to submerge the mozzarella sticks in oil. To test whether the oil is hot enough, dip the end of the mozzarella stick in the oil. If it sizzles, it's ready. Place a mozzarella stick in the oil. Fry on one side until golden brown. Turn over to brown the other side. Remove from pan and place on a plate covered with paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve with your choice of dipping sauce.

Pin It

12 Responses to “Wonton Wrapper Mozzarella Sticks Recipe”

Eileen — February 1, 2013 @ 7:59 pm

GENIUS. Another excuse to eat plenty of melty mozzarella (not that I need one). And now I’m wondering what else could get wrapped up in a wonton skin…

Annie — February 1, 2013 @ 9:26 pm

So simple, I will have to try this for a snack sometime :)

Karen Harris — February 2, 2013 @ 1:41 am

I love this idea. A friend of mine posted something similar with flattened bread slices but this would be super crispy. I can’t wait to try it. I’m pinning this one.

Phô mai que — July 1, 2013 @ 1:53 am

Your cheese sticks look so yummy. This food is always my favorite.

Diane Carter — August 2, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

I’m not sure where I saw this recipe but it also got me thinking about what else we could use wonton wrappers for. I put a tsp of apple pie filling and a 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, sealed the edges with water and fried. YUM. Also, tried york mint patties and oreos but didn’t like them as well. My husband LOVES the little apple pies though.

• Haley replied: — August 3rd, 2013 @ 5:18 am

Love the apple pie idea! I’ve been trying to think of other ideas too. Wonton wrappers are so easy to work with – so it’s super fun to experiment.

panna — September 3, 2013 @ 4:42 am

Hi Haley,
    Brilliant idea! I have been looking at your recipe blogs all day and they are all so creative. I’m thinking of trying this in bite size pieces and like you said wrap some peeled veggies around the cheese stick. Thanks so much for this creative idea.
    panna :)

jen — March 5, 2014 @ 6:14 am

Can I ask what brand of wonton wrapper you use? Kind I buy does not look as soft..

• Haley replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 1:52 pm

Hey Jen,
      I usually use one of two brands: Melissa’s or Nasoya. They usually cost about $3 a pack and you can find them in the produce section. Hope that helps!

chacha — March 17, 2014 @ 3:24 am

THESE ARE KICKBUTT GOOD I make these and freeze for on hand goodies. I buy the poly-o 16 oz pkg an cutup in pcs to fill wrappers. Any kind of sauce is great Kraft has a DIJON RANCH DRESSING AND DIP and great to use for any wrapper recipes. I get mine at the asian market. The small ones are 2 bits size wrappers (small ones) but larger the better. Best part is your not deep frying and I use a cast iron frypan for these.

Julie — September 9, 2014 @ 10:09 pm

Can I ask how you get the cheese to melt? My wrappers browned up before my cheese was melted. I was afraid if I let them cook longer that the outside would burn.

• Haley replied: — September 10th, 2014 @ 2:06 am

Good question. I would just lower the heat, and add a bit more oil to the pan before frying. Hope that works!