Mashed Carrot Potatoes With Bacon Recipe

Mashed carrot potatoes with bacon, from Cheap Recipe Blog

I have had 38 roommates in my life.

Due to a strong desire to save money, live in different cities and countries, and avoid buying large furniture, I have chosen time and time again to share living space. Here are some roommate stats:

• 34 were female, 4 were male
  • 10 were in college
  • Once it was 5 in the same room (never again!)
  • 1 was a toddler
  • 2 were named Leslie
  • 2 were named Katie

I lived with roommate #24, Regina, one block from Lake Michigan in Chicago. We lived in a cozy apartment with Amy, her adorable son Moses, and Maya the cat. Despite not totally loving Chicago (the size, the commute, the cost), I really loved living with these three. We spent many evenings making fun of reality TV, ordering Thai food, making boxed brownies, and playing with little Moses. Although I was there only briefly, thanks to my three roommates, Chicago felt like home.

Regina and Moses

Regina and Moses

One night, Regina made this awesome recipe that she ate in her native Germany. It looked unassuming enough. But when I took a bite, I couldn’t believe it. It was one of the most delicious things I had ever eaten. Today, some six-plus years later, I still think about that dish. A few months ago, Regina sent me instructions and I made it at home. Now it’s a part of Carrot Week!

Mashed carrot potatoes with bacon recipe, from Cheap Recipe Blog

This carrot dish is comfort food at its finest. It’s hearty and flavorful. Great as a side dish but perfectly acceptable as a main course. Try it for Thanksgiving or better yet, make it today. Either way, you won’t be disappointed.

New to Cheap Recipe Blog? I’m so happy you’re here! Please stay in touch by liking my Facebook page or following my Pinterest boards.

Mashed Carrot Potatoes With Bacon Recipe

Yield: 4 servings

Cook Time: 20 min

Total Time: 25 min

There is no official name for this recipe. Call it German carrots and potatoes, bacony mashed potatoes with carrots, German carrot side dish - or whatever you want!

Ingredients:

• 6 large carrots (approximately 2 cups chopped)
  • 2 large baking potatoes (approximately 2 cups cubed)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 5 slices bacon, chopped
  • Vegetable broth

Directions:

1. Chop carrots and cube potatoes. Set aside.
  2. In a heavy saucepan, cook the onions and bacon over medium-high heat until the onions are golden brown. Add the carrots and potatoes. Add enough vegetable broth to cover and cook the vegetables. Once the carrots and potatoes are tender (after about 20 minutes or so) mash until desired consistency, removing some of the broth if needed. I prefer a chunkier consistency. Serve warm with extra bacon bits on top.

19 Responses to “Mashed Carrot Potatoes With Bacon Recipe”

Kathy — September 6, 2013 @ 3:09 pm

This sounds fantastic Haley! It would be a hit in our house, for sure! I can’t wait to try it!

Donna — October 22, 2013 @ 12:47 am

I made this for dinner tonight–it was delicious. I didn’t have bacon, so used prosciutto instead. Thanks for the recipe.

Brenda — February 2, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

My mother made this (she was German), she has been gone for many years and I never had the recipe, have been wondering about how to make it so looked it up online and found your recipe. It truly is a comfort food, I will have to make a small batch for myself (my husband does not like anything with cooked carrots). Thank you for posting this recipe!

• Haley replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 1:41 am

Hi Brenda! I am so glad you found the recipe that you are looking for. I hope it tastes like your mother’s recipe. Mine came from my German roommate, so I think it’s pretty close to the real thing 🙂 Thanks for commenting!

Susan — July 28, 2014 @ 4:35 pm

I’ve made this a few times with great success. Since I’m on the Whole 30 diet right now, I switched up the bacon for prosciutto since I couldn’t find sugarless bacon in the store. It was just as great, maybe even better! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• Haley replied: — August 1st, 2014 @ 7:45 pm

Hi Susan! Glad you liked it, and glad the prosciutto worked. That actually sounds really, really good. I might have to try it your way sometime!

Lexi — November 15, 2014 @ 4:16 am

Is there any chance you would be willing to ask you room mate what the actual name of this dish is? My German Great-Grandmother used to make this for us as kids and called it something like Vudledic (sp), sounded like Vu-del-dik. Thanks!

• Haley replied: — November 23rd, 2014 @ 5:05 am

I will ask her and get back to you!

melinda — December 18, 2015 @ 6:46 pm

this was soooo wonderful. I have made it 2 times now. the first as is and it was grate. 2nd time I added some onion to the veggies and cooked them in the pressure cooker. I then steamed some cabbage leaves and filled them with the mix ohhhhhh so yummy!

• Haley replied: — December 19th, 2015 @ 9:02 pm

Yaaay! So glad you liked it! I bet the onion + cabbage additions taste great too. I’ll have to try that next time 🙂

Becky — April 7, 2016 @ 11:48 pm

I would like a little more detail on what to do with the bacon. Do you crumble it up? The picture indicates that, but there doesn’t look like 5 pieces of bacon on top of that dish, so do you leave some of the bacon mixed in with the vegies?  how much?
    thank you, I am anxious to try it!

• Haley replied: — April 11th, 2016 @ 1:28 am

Good question Becky. I added some extra bacon bits on top, which is totally optional but adds a nice crunch.

Dawn — February 15, 2017 @ 4:30 pm

I made this last night for a potluck at work today (still 3 hours away) and it tastes absolutely wonderful!!! (I had to sample it, of course) Now, let’s see how everyone else likes it. I have a hunch it will go over great!! I added garlic, used baking and Yukon Gold potatoes and since I doubled the recipe I cooked it in a large stockpot. I will be serving it in my crock pot so it stays warm. Will keep you posted!

Dawn McClelland — February 15, 2017 @ 9:24 pm

I made this for my office potluck today and everyone loved it!!!! I added garlic, used Yukon Gold potatoes and served it in my crock pot (doubled the recipe). It’s a keeper!!!

• Haley replied: — February 15th, 2017 @ 9:39 pm

Wonderful, Dawn! So glad you gave it a try and also that your coworkers liked it. I haven’t made it in a long time myself, and you’ve reminded me of how much I like it. Thanks for your comments!

Ashley — August 4, 2017 @ 11:20 pm

This is a wondeful dish! I’m excited to let you know that the official name of this dish is Hutspot!

• Haley replied: — August 9th, 2017 @ 8:49 pm

Thank you for your comment. I’m so happy to know the official name of this dish: hutspot!

Mike S — October 18, 2017 @ 12:01 am

I just had this in Neuss/Duesseldorf.  It was called Moehrengemusa (carrot vegetables).  They served a type of meatball on top.  A nice winter dish especially.  Thank you!
    Mike

• Haley replied: — October 24th, 2017 @ 3:13 am

Thanks for the comment! Adding a meatball sounds delicious.