Chocolate Granola Recipe
Minnesota and much of the continent is currently experiencing other-worldly cold. And that’s not an exaggeration. Minnesotans are all abuzz, as it was reported that this cold snap has left the northern part of the state colder than the surface of Mars.
- Minnesota = -42F
- Mars = -24F
Yesterday, I went to the supermarket to stock up on groceries to hold me over for next few days. It was insane. People were filling their carts and stockpiling food items like it was Y2K all over again.
While I’m perfectly fine hunkering down in my apartment for a few days, the fact that this kind of cold could seriously injure or kill me if I happened to get stuck out there, kind of bums me out. Which is why I made myself this chocolate granola. There’s nothing like having chocolate for breakfast when you’re stuck inside the house.
Can I just say – this stuff is amazing! I discovered the recipe on Yummy Mummy Kitchen and made a few cheap recipe tweaks. The final product is the perfect mix between a breakfast food, health food, and dessert. And yes, it’s actually really healthy and tastes like dessert.
And the best part? When you serve it with milk, the chocolate mixes with the milk in your bowl and you basically have chocolate milk. I felt like a giddy 10-year-old when I discovered this delicious surprise in the bottom of my bowl.
So if you’re sick of the cold, looking for an excuse to turn your oven on, or if you just need a delicious treat to cheer you up, try this recipe. It’s the best granola recipe I’ve ever tried, and I’m quite confident you’ll agree.
Chocolate Granola Recipe
Yield: 7 cups
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 35 min
- 4 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.)
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar or more honey)
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate or cacao nibs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F. Combine oats, coconuts, nuts, flax seeds, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder, coconut oil, vanilla, honey, and sugar. Stir until smooth. Pour liquid mixture over oat mixture and stir until the oats are coated.
- Coat a large baking pan with coconut oil or cooking spray. Place granola on pan and press down. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, and return to oven to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool until the granola is cool. Do not stir the granola while it is cooling. This will allow the granola to form clumps and not break apart.
- Once the granola is cool, place in an airtight container. Serve with milk or eat on its own.