Mini Party Cupcakes
In a perfect world, everybody would have the time needed to make cupcakes and frosting from scratch.
Unfortunately, the world doesn’t work that way. Which is why so many of us resort to supermarket cupcakes. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Not the fancy bakery cupcakes. I’m talking about the ones with neon frosting that have a slightly odd aftertaste.
Today I’m offering an alternative to supermarket cupcakes. A simple and supremely moist chocolate cupcake with classic buttercream frosting. Instead of making an emergency trip to the grocery store (which will undoubtedly take you longer than expected and result in unanticipated purchases), consider making your own from scratch.
Get The Chocolate Cake Recipe
I used this chocolate cake recipe, which is amazingly moist and decadent. It’s the same recipe I used to make the cupcakes pictured below, which are topped with a tart and tangy raspberry buttercream frosting:
This is a great recipe to have up your sleeve for virtually any type of get-together:
These cupcakes freeze well, so making them ahead of time is definitely an option. And while you could certainly make full-sized cupcakes using this recipe, I think the mini cupcakes are more fun.
The Cost: 10 Cents Per Cupcake
This cake recipe yields approximately 36 mini cupcakes, and costs less than $2 to make. The frosting costs approximately $1.75 to make.
Total cost per cupcake? About 10 cents.
Classic Buttercream Frosting
Yield: 36 mini cupcakes
Total Time: 10 min
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- Colored sprinkles
- Place butter, cream, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar, a cup at a time, and mix well. Add extra cream or powdered sugar, if necessary, to achieve desired consistency. Chill until ready to frost cupcakes.
- Spread frosting directly on cupcakes, or use a piping bag to make a pretty design. Top with sprinkles. Chill cupcakes until ready to serve.