So far, my favorite culinary part of 2014 has been making my own granola at home. If you’ve never made homemade granola at home, you’re missing out. Here’s why:
- It’s super easy to make. You just mix oats, nuts, and other add-ins with a homemade sauce and bake.
- It tastes great: Personally, I think it tastes a lot better than the stuff you buy in the store. When you make it at home, you can play around with different spices and flavors. When you buy granola in the store, it seems like it’s always the same flavor.
- It’s cheap: Since oatmeal is oat-based (duh) it makes for a very cheap breakfast. Plus, I seem to always have ingredients for granola on hand at home.
I wanted to feature a new granola recipe for spring, and thought a strawberry variety would be fitting. This granola is flavored with strawberry jam, and is decked out with dehydrated strawberries. Serve with fresh strawberries for even more strawberry goodness!
More Granola Recipes!
If you’re looking for more homemade granola recipes, here are two you should check out:
Otherwise, I’ll be back in May with another new granola recipe. I know, we’re getting kind of crazy here. But really, I can’t get enough!
Shopping tip: I picked up a bag of dehydrated strawberries at Trader Joe’s for about $3. I used about half the bag for this batch of granola.
Strawberry Granola Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 3 cups oats
- 1/3 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup dehydrated strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325F. In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix coconut oil, honey, and strawberry jam together until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine oats, flax seeds, and almonds. Pour liquid mixture into oat mixture and stir well.
- Coat a 15x10x1 inch baking sheet with cooking spray. Pour oat mixture onto pan and press down. Bake granola for approximately 25 minutes, stirring once about half way through. Remove granola from oven and allow to cool without stirring. Once granola is cool, break apart into pieces. Add dehydrated strawberries and store in an airtight container.