All-Purpose Dipping Sauce
A few years ago, I visited a friend in Kansas City. One day, he brought us to nearby Lawrence, Kansas, to one of his favorite restaurants: The Burger Stand. They had the most delicious fries, served with a variety of dipping sauces. Although I don’t recall the exact dipping sauces we tried, this restaurant stands out in my mind because of them.
The point is, I really like sauces. I think a good sauce can make an otherwise bland dish unforgettable. This particular sauce can do just that. It can practically fix a bad meal, and can make an already good meal even better.
This sauce is a twist on the southern favorite, comeback sauce. From what I understand, there are many variations of comeback sauce. I deviated slightly from the original recipe I was following, so this may or may not taste like the original. I really wouldn’t know. All I can speak for is how it tastes. Tangy. Creamy. Tomato-y. Slightly sweet. Slightly spicy.
It’s made from a variety of pantry stables, pictured above. Aside from chili sauce, I had all the ingredients available in my fridge and pantry. If you have a well-stocked kitchen, you won’t have to spend much money at all to make this sauce.
Uses For All-Purpose Dipping Sauce
I’m calling this all-purpose dipping sauce, because that’s really what it is. Use it:
- As a burger sauce
- As a sauce on club sandwiches
- As a dip for French fries or carrot fries
- As a dip for fried pickles (see photo above)
- As a dip for chicken strips
- As a dip for other fried foods
- As a dressing for wedge salad (this sauce tastes similar to Thousand Island dressing)
No matter how you choose to use this sauce, I hope you enjoy it! Please share additional ideas, below.
All Purpose Dipping Sauce Recipe
Yield: 3 cups
Total Time: 10 min
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons spicy mustard
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
- Juice from 1 lemon