3 Cheap Ways To Make Your Food Taste Better
Do you want to instantly become a better cook? Of course you do! Today I am sharing three of my favorite tips for making food taste better. I use these tips all the time.
If your dish is lacking in flavor, one simple addition can make all the difference. Here are three ideas to try:
1: Add Sweetener
I’m sure I’ll get some flak for suggesting this, but hear me out. Adding a bit of sweetener to a savory dish can make it really tasty. We’re not talking about a large amount of sugar here. Just a pinch can do wonders to a dish that’s missing something.
- Add a pinch of white sugar to egg salad or tuna salad
- Add a bit of brown sugar to chili
- Add some honey or sugar to the sauce for this Korean BBQ fried rice
2: Add Spiciness
Adding hot sauce or crushed red pepper can give a dish some zing. But my main tip here is to start using sriracha sauce. Sriracha sauce is a hot sauce that also contains garlic, sugar, and vinegar. So while it definitely adds some heat, it also adds more flavor in general. Go buy a bottle right now!
3: Add An Acidic Component
This is my favorite tip of all. If your dish is missing a certain je ne sais quoi, try adding a bit of citrus or vinegar to it. You will be amazed.
- Fry or grill lemon before adding it to a dish (like this lentil dip with fried lemon)
- Add some red wine vinegar to black bean soup
- Squeeze fresh lemon over greens, chicken, blah pasta sauce, seafood, fried potatoes, and more
Now It’s Your Turn
What are your favorite inexpensive ways to make food taste better? Please share your ideas below!