5-Minute BBQ Sauce
Every resourceful cook has to have a few basic sauce recipes up his or her sleeve. At the top of that list is homemade BBQ sauce.
Homemade barbecue sauce is one of the easiest sauces to make. You start out with a base of ketchup, and add sweetener, vinegar, and various spices – and voila! An incredibly tasty, versatile sauce that can be used on chicken, ribs, sandwiches, and in countless other recipes.
Got 5 Minutes? Make Your Own BBQ Sauce And Move On With Life!
Five minutes is *much* faster than the time it would take you to go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of barbecue sauce. To make, you just throw everything into a saucepan and cook it for a few minutes, until the flavors meld and the sugar dissolves. Easy as pie.
Customizing Your BBQ Sauce
This is a basic recipe for BBQ sauce: Plenty sweet and a little zesty. Feel free to customize it to your liking:
- Want a spicier sauce? Add some sriracha sauce
- Want a less sweet sauce? Add less brown sugar than what I’ve listed below
- Want a boozy BBQ sauce? Add some bourbon or whiskey
Every chicken nugget needs some BBQ sauce. Get the crispy baked chicken nugget recipe here
Use this sauce on top of delicious barbecue bacon pizza
5-minute BBQ Sauce Recipe
Yield: 2 1/2 cups sauce
Cook Time: 5 min
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (or shallot salt)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Plenty of cracked black pepper
- Liquid smoke (I didn't use this, but if you have it on hand, add a teaspoon or two for that smoky flavor)