Why You Should Never Buy Ready-Made Guacamole
Do you love guacamole? Do you buy it from the grocery store?
If you currently buy your guac ready-made, you need to stop. Why? Here are three reasons:
1: It’s Incredibly Easy To Make Homemade
Homemade guacamole is as easy as mashing avocados and adding in some fresh ingredients. This is one food item that anyone can make. There’s no need to buy it ready-made from the grocery store.
See below for an incredibly delicious, foolproof, impress-your-friends guacamole recipe.
2: It Tastes Funny
Some store-bought guacamole brands have a certain taste to them – and I’m not talking about salty or sour.
I can’t put my finger on it. But if you want fresh, pure, non-chemical-tasting guacamole – don’t buy it at the store. Make it at home.
(One exception is Whole Foods store-made guacamole. It is delicious and doesn’t have that chemical taste. But it’s very expensive. (See reason #3))
3: It’s Expensive
Homemade guacamole from the grocery store is really expensive.
You can make a delicious homemade guac for much, much less than it costs to buy it in the store.
When avocados are ripe, grocery stores sell them very cheap. I often find 5 for $5 deals, or even cheaper:
Forget paying $5.00+ on a small container of store-bought guacamole. Make a much larger batch at home for just a few dollars.
Try a new recipe!
Guacamole is one of the most perfect foods. It’s creamy, it’s flavorful, and it’s healthy.
It’s a tortilla chip’s best friend. It can make a burger. And it is always a welcome site at a Superbowl/Cinco de Mayo/Fourth of July/any other party.
Now it’s time for you to make delicious homemade guacamole at home – and save some money too!
Best Basic Guacamole Recipe
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Total Time: 10 min
- If it is rock hard, it's not ripe.
- If it's soft, it's too ripe.
- If it gives in to gentle pressure, it's ready to eat and perfect for guacamole.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 small Roma tomato, chopped
- Small garlic clove, finely minced
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely minced jalapeno pepper, optional
- Dash of hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce, optional
- Remove flesh from avocados and mash with a fork. You want the avocados to be slightly, not smooth.
- Add other ingredients and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to eat.