Retro Recipes: Chipped Beef On Toast

Retro Recipes: Chipped beef on toast.

My Retro Recipes series continues! I’m revisiting some recipes that were big in the 70s and 80s. Check out:

Today’s recipe is a classic that I’m sure is familiar to many of you: Chipped beef on toast.

How to make chipped beef on toast. Click through for recipe.

Growing up, we ate this dish often – and it’s no wonder why. My mom, admittedly, doesn’t like cooking. This particular meal would take her just minutes to make and satisfied the whole family. It was cheap too, and didn’t require many ingredients.

About The Recipe

Chipped beef on toast consists of a creamy white sauce with chopped dried beef, served on top of toast. Nothing fancy. But satisfying just the same.

This dish is commonly served to servicemen in the military, where they call it something other than chipped beef on toast – with an acronym of S.O.S. I’ll leave it at that.

This dish takes no more than 10 minutes, start to finish. Give it a try yourself – it might become a family favorite!

How to make chipped beef on toast.

Modern-day update: If you’re a low-carb eater, serve the sauce over steamed or grilled vegetables. Add some fresh parsley on top.

Want more retro recipes? Follow along on Facebook and Instagram, where I will be posting new recipe notifications.

Chipped Beef On Toast

Yield: 4 servings

Cook Time: 5 min

Total Time: 10 min

For an even easier version of chipped beef on toast, use canned cream of mushroom soup as the base. Add the chopped beef, heat it up, and serve.

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 jar dried beef
  • Garlic powder and pepper, to taste
  • Toast
  • Chopped parsley, for serving (0ptional)

Directions:

1. Cut dried beef into thin strips.
  2. Melt butter in a large sauce pan. Add flour and mix well.
  3. Slowly add in milk, stirring to remove any lumps. Continue heating for a few minutes, until mixture heats and thickens. Add beef. Stir in garlic powder and pepper, if desired.
  4. Serve warm sauce over toasted bread. Top with chopped parsley, if desired.

6 Responses to “Retro Recipes: Chipped Beef On Toast”

Krystel @ Planning The Magic — September 19, 2016 @ 4:39 pm

This looks amazing. Will be trying

Vickie@Vickie's Kitchen and Garden — September 20, 2016 @ 6:06 am

I love the fact it only takes 10 minutes! That’s my kind of cooking! I have never had dried beef before. I’ll have to give this a try!

• Haley replied: — September 20th, 2016 @ 5:19 pm

Please do, Vicki!

Kristin — September 22, 2016 @ 3:22 pm

One of my favorites from childhood! My mom always used the Carl Buddig beef lunch meat, which is probably totally not healthy at all, but was easy to find and tasted great! Thanks for the reminder of this great dish.

Tara — September 24, 2016 @ 1:54 am

My husband loves chipped beef on toast. He orders it every time we go out for breakfast. I can’t wait to use this recipe to make it for him at home!

Allen — February 13, 2017 @ 3:51 pm

Right on, Kristin, I had the same experience growing up in the 60’s – and my mother also used Carl Buddig “Chipped Beef” from a plastic pouch; I’m not sure Buddig labels it that way any more, or it might have been discontinued. NB: Stouffers still carries an excellent creamed chipped beef in their frozen food offerings and I introduced my two sons to it about eight years ago and they both LOVE it. It lives on in my mind for another reason. After coming home from school around four or five, I would grab a pouch of the Buddig chipped beef from the refrigerator with a drink and ascend to my parents’ bedroom where the family television sat on a table about four feet from the foot of their bed. Lying on the carpet with my head propped against the footboard, I ate slices of the beef while I watched the TV news that invariably featured reports from Vietnam, including footage of firefights, maps and it seemed more often than not a body count for the day. Chipped beef for me will forever be wedded to my childhood after school and the Vietnam war. Yet I still love it.