Tortilla Shell Pizzas
Anyone who knows me knows how much I love pizza. But it’s not always practical cost-wise or health-wise to go out for pizza once a craving hits.
That’s why this meal – tortilla shell pizzas – works so well.
These pizzas are completely adaptable, and you probably have all the ingredients you need to make them in your fridge right now.
And the best part? Depending on the toppings, each pizza can cost less than 50 cents.
The Cost: 43 Cents Each
- Tortilla shells (8) = $.40 each (if using homemade) or $1.20 (if using store bought)
- Sauce (1/3 cup) = $.40 (approximately)
- Toppings (1/2 cup) = $1.20 (approximate cost – will vary depending on what toppings you use)
- Cheese (1 cup) = $1.50 (approximate cost – will vary depending on what type of cheese you use)
Total cost of recipe (8 pizzas for 4 people): $3.50, or 43 cents per pizza
How To Make Tortilla Shell Pizzas
Here is the process, in a nutshell. Scroll down for detailed recipe:
- Preheat oven
- Take one flour tortilla and top modestly with choice of sauce
- Add desired toppings
- Add cheese
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes – directly on rack, if possible
Corn tortillas will work for tortilla shell pizzas, but you may want to choose different toppings. I like to make a Mexican-inspired pizza with corn tortillas.
Make This Recipe Part Of Your Budget Meal Rotation
This recipe is part of my $10 Food Day series. This includes four recipes (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack), enough to feed a family of four for less than $10 – for the entire day!
- 1 tortilla shell (white, whole wheat or homemade)
- 2 teaspoons sauce (sweet chili sauce, tomato sauce or salsa)
- 1 tablespoon toppings (meat, chopped vegetables, olive, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons cheese (Mozzarella, Parmesan, or smoked Gouda)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Top a tortilla shell with desired sauce, toppings, and cheese.
- Bake for approximately 7 to 8 minutes. If you can do so safely, bake the pizzas directly on the oven rack for an extra crispy crust.