DIY Lemon-Sugar Hand Scrub
I love going shopping for cosmetics and body products, but the cost of certain items astounds me. For example: Sugar and salt scrubs. Doing a quick Google research and landing on Sephora.com, I discovered a sugar scrub that costs $65.00. That’s sixty-five dollars. Your mouth should be dropping to the floor right about now. I know mine is.
When you consider what goes into a basic sugar scrub (= sugar and oil), you should immediately realize that $65 is an embarrassing amount to pay. Try more like $5.00 in a store (the maximum I would pay) – or right around $1.00 if you make it at home yourself.
Lemon-Sugar Hand Scrub: The Cost
A few months ago, I made a batch of lemon-sugar hand scrub for a lemon-themed cooking party I attended. I wanted to bring a nice hostess gift that maintained the lemon theme. Here’s what I paid:
- Sugar = $.22
- Olive oil $.72
- Lemon juice = $.19
Total cost for a large batch of lemon-sugar hand scrub (enough for four small containers): $1.13
Sugar Scrub Uses
Here are some of my favorite uses for sugar scrubs (which are pretty obvious, but I’ll share them anyway!):
- Leave a jar by your bathroom sink when you have company over
- Leave a jar by your kitchen sink and use to soften hands after dish washing
- Use to soften hands, elbows, feet, and other rough skin (this is perfect pre-pedicure!)
- Give a jar as a hostess gift
- Give a jar to baby shower or bridal shower recipients
- Gather your friends and plan a DIY beauty night, using this sugar scrub and other homemade beauty products
Are you a DIY beauty junkie too? Check out these other body/household products using items you can find in your kitchen:
- DIY lip scrub (a copycat Lush recipe)
- Homemade Vaseline and tinted lip balm
- Hand soap
- Laundry detergent
- Pumpkin spice sugar scrub (photo below)
One of my favorite things about making homemade body products at home is maintaining control over what goes into the product.
Some sugar scrubs I looked at online contained all kinds of questionable ingredients. This particular scrub uses only ingredients that you can eat. Now that’s a product that I don’t mind putting on my body.