Shrimp And Cream Cheese Firecrackers
If I had to eat one food every day for the rest of my life – nutrition aside – it would be cream cheese wontons. Hands down.
The mix of warm cream cheese, crispy fried wonton shells, sweet dipping sauce, and crab (if you’re lucky) is a flavor combination that is hard to beat.
About The Recipe: Shrimp and Cream Cheese Firecrackers
Since I’m always looking for variations on classic cream cheese wontons or crab rangoons, I thought I would try the following:
- Adding shrimp to the cream cheese mixture
- Adding spicy components (hot pepper and sriracha sauce)
- Folding them in a firecracker shape (because cuteness)
Delicious. Obviously. You truly can’t go wrong with this flavor combination!
You can make these large (using an egg roll wrapper) or small (using wonton wrappers). Look for both types of wrapper in the produce section of the grocery store. I usually find them for $2.99 per package.
Other Recipes Using Egg Roll Or Wonton Wrappers
If you have leftover wonton or egg roll wrappers, consider making one of these easy recipes:
- Banana-Nutella egg rolls
- Deep fried candy bars (Minnesota State Fair-inspired)
- Asparagus-cream cheese wonton fries
- Cheesy hot dog wontons
- Buffalo chicken wontons
- Mango chicken wontons
- Turkey and cranberry wontons
- Crispy wonton crackers
Once you get the hang of how to roll and seal the wrappers, you can experiment with all sorts of fillings. There are so, so, so many options!
You can make dessert wontons, like apple pie wontons. You can put cheese inside, and indulge on melted goodness. You can make Mexican wontons and put a ground beef/corn/pepper/cheese mixture inside. Or you could even put mac & cheese on the inside for a special treat.
The point? The sky is the limit when it comes to making fun flavored wontons or egg rolls.
If you are storing the wrappers the fridge, be sure to seal the packaging so no air gets in. The wrappers dry out quickly.
- 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 4-ounce can of shrimp, drained
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Red Fresno pepper, finely chopped
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- Oil, for frying
- Sweet and sour sauce, for serving
- Mix cream cheese, shrimp, sriracha sauce, sugar, garlic powder, and red pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Assemble egg rolls: Lay an egg roll wrapper on the counter in front of you in a diamond shape. Place about 2 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture on right below the middle of the wrapper. Start rolling the wrapper up. Do not fold in the sides, instead twist them. Seal the wrapper with a bit of water. Set aside and cover with a damp paper towel until ready to fry.
- To fry: Heat 1/2 inch of cooking oil over medium-high heat in a frying pan or shallow saucepan. The oil is hot enough when you dip the egg roll wrapper in it and it sizzles. Fry one or two egg rolls at a time. Once one side is golden brown, flip and fry the other side. You may need to dip the ends in the oil using tongs. Once egg rolls are fried, lay them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Continue frying the rest of the egg rolls.
- To serve: Serve egg rolls hot with a side sweet and sour sauce or sweet chili sauce.