Smoked Gouda Stuffed Tomatoes
I was delighted when I found a small basket of gourmet cheeses cut in small pieces at my local grocery store. A sort of grab bag of end pieces and individually-sized bits, most of which were priced under $2.00.
I considered it a good opportunity to try a different kind of cheese without committing to buying a large block. I went home with a small piece of smoked gouda.
Trader Joe’s also has a good and affordable smoked Gouda.
My dad had given me a bunch of tomatoes from his garden, so I throw together a basic recipe for stuffed tomatoes. I’m glad I did, because the fresh tomatoes and smoked gouda really complemented each other well.
If you’re looking for a recipe that showcases your late-summer tomatoes, give this a go.
- 4 slicing tomatoes
- 3/4 cup white or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/3 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut the top sixth off of the tomatoes and scoop out seeds and filling with a spoon. The inside of the tomato should be dry.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Spoon mixture into hollowed-out tomatoes. Drizzle additional olive oil on top of the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until tops are golden brown.