Hi. I’m Haley, and I have been in love with cooking and baking my whole life.
- Age 5: I made my mom breakfast in bed for Mother’s Day. I didn’t know how to make coffee, so I simply put coffee grounds in warm water. My mom graciously drank it, but I later learned that she could barely choke it down.
- Age 9: I would make my brother pretend he was a co-host in a faux-TV cooking show.
- Age 11: I would pack “mystery” sack lunches for family members.
- Age 19: I was accused of being “too domestic” in college because of my frequent late-night baking sessions. I considered it a compliment.
- Age 22: I chopped, mixed, and stirred my way through bouts of home sickness and culture shock while studying abroad in Brazil.
- Today: I get to cook great food for friends and family, take photos of it, and share my experiences online. Life is good!
Aside from my love of cooking, I’m also a die-hard bargain hunter who is always looking for creative ways to save money.
I frequent thrift shops and garage sales, scope out clearance racks, and scour eBay for great deals. I also look for ways to cook really great food without spending a lot of money.
Save Money and Eat Great Food: I’ll Show You How
My goal is to post recipes that are cheap, creative, and delicious.
By choosing the right ingredients and learning a few money-saving tips, anyone can start saving money immediately. I know because I do it all the time!
Even if you think you can’t cook (or can’t cook well) you’ll find something here.
A Little Bit More About Me
I grew up in a small town in Minnesota near the South Dakota border. I spent a few years globetrotting and taking advantage of amazing opportunities to live in fun cities both in the U.S. and abroad.
I am a Minnesota-based blogger who now lives in St. Paul, Minnesota. While the dining, entertainment, and shopping options in the city can’t be beat, I’m a small-town girl at heart.
Cooking is my therapy. For me, nothing cures stress better than chopping, mixing, and ultimately reaping the benefits of a day spent in the kitchen.
Cheap Recipe Blog Has Been Featured On:
How to freeze fresh fruit
How to make beans in a slow cooker
How to coupon without going crazy
4 Easy ways to save money on meat
Slow-cooker corn jalapeno bacon dip
DIY stir-fry veggie kits
3 Quick and easy holiday gifts from the kitchen
Super fast yogurt snacks
How to make apple chips
7 Affordable apple snacks
6 Late summer toast toppers
8 Budget-stretching summer pantry staples
The Penny Hoarder
Bring Me The News
31 Whole30 snacks that are easy and healthy
16 Healthy lunches that cost less than $2.00 to make
15 Healthy breakfasts that cost less than $2.00 to make
13 Slow-cooker recipes that cost less than $2.00
Healthy chicken recipes
Country Living Magazine
25 Green bean recipes you can make in a snap (Parmesan-crusted green bean fries featured)
How to make homemade mayonnaise
Easy breakfast tacos
Paleo Hawaiian cauliflower casserole
Irish colcannon (and leftover colcannon cakes)
Cacao nib honey caramels
Tortilla shell pizzas (less than $1.00 each!)
Baked chicken taquitos
Teriyaki turkey lettuce wraps
Guest Blog Posts
Savoury Table: Chinese chicken salad
Feast On The Cheap: Fluffy yeast-raised pancakes
The Oatmeal Artist: Oatmeal risotto
Minnemama Adventures: Movie night on a budget
Living Well Spending Less: DIY liquid hand soap