Vegetarian Sheet Pan Fajitas
Make your own fajita veggies at home. This recipe for vegetarian sheet pan fajitas results in vegetables that are are similar to what is served in Mexican restaurants. Use to fill flour tortillas, to make a fajita bowl or to top nachos.
I love everything about fajitas. But my favorite part of all? Definitely the veggies!
In fact, I’ve gotten into the habit of ordering just fajita veggies when I go to a Mexican restaurant. The combination of seasoned, grilled vegetables with some tortilla chips on the side – perfection! (Side note: It’s also cheaper to order fajitas sans meat!)
Now that I know how to make delicious fajita-style vegetables at home, I make them all the time.
Sometimes I eat them fajita-style with tortillas and toppings. But most often, I pile some of the fajita vegetables on top of tortilla chips and eat them nacho-style.
The Genius Of Sheet Pan Meals
With a sheet pan meal, all ingredients are placed on a sheet pan and baked at the same time.
There’s just one pan to prep. One pan to clean up.
Everything is cooked together. All meals should be this easy to prepare!
With these sheet pan fajitas, the vegetables are cut into roughly the same size to help ensure even cooking. The mushrooms add great umami flavor and act as a meat substitute. The vegetables are drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with a Mexican spice blend.
They bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender-crisp and slightly charred.
This recipe is meat-free and very affordable. Consider this recipe for meatless Monday or any time you need a quick vegetarian meal idea.
Sheet Pan Fajita Serving Suggestions
There are so many delicious ways to eat these vegetarian sheet pan fajitas:
- Traditionally – Serve with flour tortillas (warmed) and refried beans, Mexican rice, sour cream and guacamole on the side
- Veggies only – Keto, paleo & gluten-free
- Nacho style – Pile some fajita veggies on top of tortilla chips with nacho cheese sauce and pinto beans
- With a yummy sauce on the side – Combine 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon mayo, 1 teaspoon Mexican spice blend, 1 teaspoon honey, and a few drops of hot sauce
- Make a fajita bowl – Serve veggies over rice and beans, top with cheese, sour cream, and salsa
- Make into a casserole – This chicken fajita bake can be made with or without chicken
Can I Add Meat To This Recipe?
Absolutely. You can add sliced chicken breast, steak or shrimp to your otherwise vegetarian sheet pan fajitas.
Simply drizzle with olive oil and toss with seasoning blend. Make sure your protein is roughly the same size as the vegetables to ensure similar cooking time.
More Sheet Pan Meal Ideas
- Sheet pan orange chicken + veggies
- Sheet pan chicken and broccoli bowls
- Maple-roasted ring bologna and Brussels sprouts
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 8 ounce package baby bella or white button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- Flour tortillas, warmed
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 425F. Slice onion in half, remove ends and outer peel. Place the onion cut side down on cutting board and thinly slice.
- Cut bell peppers in half, remove seeds, and cut off stem. Cut into thin strips.
- Rinse mushrooms. Slice each mushroom into 5 or 6 pieces. All vegetables should be roughly the same thickness.
- Mix all spices together in a small bowl.
- Place onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and spice blend, and toss to evenly coat.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until veggies are browned and cooked through.