Cheese and Tomato Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Recipe
I scored a major deal at the farmer’s market yesterday: Four spaghetti squash for one dollar!
I arrived late in the day, when some of the booths had already started closing down. One particular booth graciously offered me their final four spaghetti squashes at a steep discount.
Now I have four spaghetti squash-based meals to look forward to!
If you’re looking to save money on food this fall, look no further than the humble squash. These hearty vegetables are super cheap, tasty, and healthy. And they seem to last forever, so you can stock up now and enjoy squash-based dishes all winter long. Store in a dark, cool space such as the basement.
How To Make Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave
I discovered a quick and easy way to cook spaghetti squash – in the microwave! There is no need to heat up the kitchen and bake the squash for more than an hour. This microwave technique (from Steamy Kitchen) resulted in perfectly cooked spaghetti squash:
- Stab the squash all over with a sharp knife – 15 to 20 times or so. These slits act as steam vents as the squash heats up in the microwave.
- Place the squash on an appropriate-sized, microwave-safe plate.
- Heat on high for 8 to 10 minutes – or more, if you have a larger spaghetti squash.
- Carefully remove squash from microwave, preferably wearing oven mitts to protect your hands.
- Cut the squash in half, and allow to cool until it’s safe to handle.
- Can’t get enough squash this time of the year? Try this acorn squash soup recipe (with cinnamon-sugar croutons), delicata squash fries or sesame squash brulee.
New to Cheap Recipe Blog? I’m so glad you’re here! Please keep in touch by liking my Facebook page.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 1 regular or 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Paprika, garlic powder, and salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup standard or panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- To cook spaghetti squash in microwave, pierce the squash several times with a knife. I made about 15 cuts. Place squash in the microwave and heat for approximately 8 to 12 minutes on high, depending on the size of the squash. Remove from microwave and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Cut the squash in half and remove seeds. Remove squash from shell and set aside. Reserve the squash shell as a serving bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic with the olive oil. After the onion has softened slightly (about 3 minutes), reduce heat and add flour. Stir with a fork to combine. Add milk or half-and-half and whisk together. Add chopped tomato and spaghetti squash. Season with paprika, garlic powder, and salt. Cook until heated through. Add cheese at the end. Place half of the spaghetti squash mixture into each shell.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Mix melted butter and bread crumbs. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the spaghetti squash. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until bread crumbs are browned. Top with chives and serve.