Oktoberfest Pizza Recipe
Need an excuse to celebrate Oktoberfest? Need an excuse to eat pizza?
Kill two birds with one stone and make this seasonal pie.
About The Recipe: Oktoberfest-Inspired Pizza
While initially, I didn’t know if this combination of ingredients would work, I now endorse this pizza wholeheartedly. While I was on vacation recently, I went to a restaurant that had Oktoberfest pizza on the menu.
Their version – sorry to say – didn’t work for me. Too much in-your-face flavor. Spicy mustard and sauerkraut – lots of it. I’m all about bold flavors, but not when they work against each other.
So I experimented with softer flavors:
- A whole grain mustard/mayonnaise sauce
- Chicken apple sausage (I purchased the fully cooked chicken sausages from Trader Joe’s)
- Sliced apples
- White onions
And it totally worked.
The Cost: Dinner For About $6.75
While I’ve been known to grocery store hop to save a few bucks, one trip to Trader Joe’s was all it took to get toppings for this pizza – in addition to what I already had on hand at home. Here’s what I paid:
- Pizza dough = $1.29
- Sausage ($3.99 for 5 links – I used 2)= $1.58
- Onion = $.59
- Apple = $.99
- Mustard and mayonnaise = $.30
- Cheese = $2.00
Total cost for one large or two medium pizzas = $6.75
I actually made two meals out of these ingredients. In addition to being my favorite food ever, pizza is also a very cheap meal option. The topping ideas are endless.
So now that you have an excuse, enjoy this pizza and a stein of your favorite brew. And lift your glasses to the Germans for inspiring this seasonal combination. I think you’re going to love it.
Love Creative Pizza Toppings?
If you love combining new and interesting flavors on the canvas of a pizza crust, then you should check out these 50+ creative pizza topping ideas.
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1/3 cup whole grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 chicken apple sausage links, sliced into rounds
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F. On a floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll pizza dough into a large round. Place dough on a large oiled pizza pan.
- Mix mustard and mayonnaise together. Spread on top of pizza crust. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the pizza. Add onion, sausage, and apple slices.
- Bake pizza for 12 to 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and toppings are hot.