Oktoberfest Pizza Recipe
Need an excuse to celebrate Oktoberfest? Need an excuse to eat pizza?
Kill two birds with one stone and make this seasonal pie.
About The Recipe
While initially, I didn’t know if this combination of ingredients would work, I now endorse this pizza wholeheartedly. While I was on vacation last week, I went to a restaurant that had Oktoberfest pizza on the menu.
Their version – sorry to say – didn’t work for me. Too much in-your-face flavor. Spicy mustard and sauerkraut – lots of it. I’m all about bold flavors, but not when they work against each other.
So I experimented with softer flavors:
- A whole grain mustard/mayonnaise sauce
- Chicken apple sausage (I purchased the fully cooked chicken sausages from Trader Joe’s)
- Sliced apples
- White onions
And it totally worked.
While I’ve been known to grocery store hop to save a few bucks, one trip to Trader Joe’s was all it took to get toppings for this pizza – in addition to what I already had on hand at home. Here’s what I paid:
- Pizza dough = $1.29
- Sausage ($3.99 for 5 links – I used 2)= $1.58
- Onion = $.59
- Apple = $.99
- Mustard and mayonnaise = $.30
- Cheese = $2.00
Total cost for one large or two medium pizzas = $6.75
I actually made two meals out of these ingredients. In addition to being my favorite food ever, pizza is also a very cheap meal option. The topping ideas are endless.
So now that you have an excuse, enjoy this pizza and a stein of your favorite brew. And lift your glasses to the Germans for inspiring this seasonal combination. I think you’re going to love it.
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1/3 cup whole grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 chicken apple sausage links, sliced into rounds
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F. On a floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll pizza dough into a large round. Place dough on a large oiled pizza pan.
- Mix mustard and mayonnaise together. Spread on top of pizza crust. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the pizza. Add onion, sausage, and apple slices.
- Bake pizza for 12 to 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and toppings are hot.