Spicy Honey Tofu
I love Chinese takeout.
But to save money, I like to make some of my favorite Chinese takeout dishes at home.
This spicy honey tofu is similar the sesame tofu I get at my go-to Chinese restaurant.
It’s a crispy, oven-baked tofu with a sweet/spicy sauce. The sauce contains honey and sriracha sauce. It’s topped with sesame seeds and green onions. Served with rice, it’s a complete meal.
Voila. Delicious Chinese takeout at home.
How To Make Crispy Tofu
The key to making crispy pan-fried tofu, suitable for this dish, is to remove as much water from the tofu as possible. Here’s the process:
- Cut the extra firm block of tofu in half the long way.
- Place the tofu on top of a layer of paper towels on a baking sheet (to catch water that is released).
- Top with another layer of paper towels and a heavy object, like a cast iron skillet.
- Let the tofu sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove heavy object. Blot with paper towels to remove any surface water.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces and proceed with the recipe below.
More Chinese Takeout Recipes
- Crockpot sesame chicken
- Kung pao cauliflower (vegetarian)
- Spicy green bean appetizer (vegetarian)
- Chinese chicken salad
- Peanut ramen salad
- 16-ounce package extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Sesame seeds and green onion, for topping
- Cooked white rice, for serving
Spicy honey glaze
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Prepare tofu: Remove tofu from water. Slice tofu block in half the long way. Place each slice on a paper-towel lined baking sheet. Top with another layer of paper towels. Place a heavy object on top of tofu (like a cast iron skillet) and let sit for 30 minutes or longer to remove water.
- Cut tofu into bite-sized pieces. Blot away any remaining water with a paper towel. Toss in cornstarch and shake off any excess.
- Heat 3 tablespoons cooking oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Place about half of the tofu pieces in the oil. Cook on each side to brown. This will take about 5 minutes. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel-lined surface to remove excess oil.
- Make spicy honey sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Toss fried tofu with warm sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve on top of rice with top with chopped green onions.