Barbecue Bacon Pizza Recipe
Not only are you the most amazing food on the planet (who’s with me?), but you’re also quite cheap. Not in a bad way though. Cheap in a way that makes it easy to feed a family of four for less than $5.00. Keep doing what you do. You are amazing.
Any non-traditional pizza lovers out there?
If you are in the mood for a bold, zesty pizza, give this one a try. At first, I didn’t know if the flavors would work together, but to my delight, they did.
I like experimenting with homemade pizzas that are on the healthier side, using whole wheat crust, lots of fresh vegetables, and a smaller amount of cheese.
I also like to make pizza when I’m looking to clean out the fridge. It’s a good opportunity to use up leftover ingredients like tomatoes, onions, olives, and meat.
For this recipe, I made a trip around the grocery store salad bar to pick out toppings.
I purchased a sizable amount of red and green peppers, banana peppers, and bacon for about $1.90. As a bonus, they were pre-prepped and ready to go straight off the salad bar.
Additionally, I used whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe’s ($1.29 for a large bag).
Add in the cost of shredded cheese (about $1.40) and barbecue sauce ($.35) and the whole pizza ended up costing right around $5.00.
Make Your Own Barbecue Sauce In 5 Minutes
Got 5 minutes? Then you can make your own homemade barbecue sauce at home. Making your own allows you to customize the sauce to your liking, by adding more hot sauce, less sweetener, etc. Get the recipe here.
Check Out These Other Healthy Pizzas
New to my blog? Don’t forget to like my Facebook page. My goal is to post new recipes and tips for the sole purpose of saving you money!
- 1 package refrigerated pizza dough (white or whole wheat)
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (see note above
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped banana peppers
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon
- Preheat oven to 400F. On a floured surface, roll out pizza dough into one large round or two smaller ones. Place on a round pizza pan.
- Spread barbecue sauce evenly over pizza crust. Top evenly with cheese, red and green peppers, banana peppers, and bacon.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until crust is fully cooked and center of the pizza is hot.