Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes: Turkey Mole Bowls
Nothing cramps my style more than having a mouse in the kitchen. And you truly won’t know what I’m talking about unless you have musophobia like myself. Yes, that’s a real word.
I had intended to spend my week back after Thanksgiving making fun stuff in the kitchen. But you see, that’s pretty much impossible for me to do with a mouse in the kitchen.
Which is why I’m choosing to post a recipe that I made months ago but have neglected to post until now.
Turkey Mole Bowls
Awhile back, I found a recipe for mole sauce on Carpé Season.
If you’ve never had mole (mo-lay) sauce, you should give it a go. It’s a traditional Mexican sauce that contains all sorts of seemingly random ingredients: Tomatoes, peppers, raisins, nuts, spices, and even chocolate. But trust me, it all comes together in the end.
It’s a little bit spicy, a little bit smoky, a little bit nutty, and a little bit sweet. It goes great with chicken or turkey, smothered on burritos or enchiladas, or on top of Mexican rice with a side of refried beans.
Looking at the long list of ingredients, you may be reluctant to call this a cheap recipe. But hear me out. It makes a really big batch and it freezes well.
I have made many meals out of one batch of mole sauce. I’ve made several mole “bowls”, with a random combination of leftover food items. This particular bowl featured leftover turkey, pinto and black beans, tomatoes, avocado, and scallions.
Want More Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes?
- Lots of Thanksgiving leftover ideas all in one post
- Leftover turkey chili
- Fried Thanksgiving croquettes
- Turkey-cranberry wontons
- Turkey mole bowls
- Turkey lettuce wraps with peanut sauce
- Turkey empanadas (pictured below)
For mole sauce
- 1 can (28 ounce) whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 dried ancho chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 tablespoon adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
To assemble bowls
- Black beans
- Leftover turkey
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer sauce to a large saucepan and simmer for about 15 minutes. Choose your mole bowl ingredients and top with about 1/3 cup of sauce. Freeze any leftover sauce in an airtight container up to four months.