Oatmeal Risotto Recipe
I recently got a copy of Try This at Home, a cookbook by Richard Blais, runner up on fourth season of Top Chef.
I needed a new cookbook about as bad as I needed a kick in the pants. But as soon as I started flipping through this unusually creative and inspiring cookbook, I just new I had to have it.
One of the recipes that stood out to me was this one: Oatmeal risotto.
This oatmeal turns out super creamy. Soaking the oats overnight really helps to soften them up. The vinegar-soaked raisins adds a nice pop of flavor, and the banana adds just the right amount of sweetness.
Incorporating Low-Cost Oats Into Your Diet
If you want to save money on food, my #1 tip is to start incorporating more budget-friendly ingredients into your diet.
One item that is always affordable is oatmeal. Experiment with new oatmeal recipes to find ones that you like, and start adding those recipes into your meal rotation. Here are some to try:
- Simple Baked Oatmeal ($.46 per serving)
- Applesauce Overnight Oatmeal
- Berry Baked Oatmeal
- Healthy Breakfast Porridge
- How to make steel cut oats in a slow cooker
Visiting Cheap Recipe Blog for the first time? It’s a compliment to have you here! Please stay in touch by liking my Facebook page. I only post relevant, interesting stuff. You have my word.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Place oats and water in a medium bowl. Cover and allow to stand overnight at room temperature.As you are preparing the oatmeal, place raisins and vinegar in a small bowl and allow to soak.
- Pour oats and water into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and salt. Mix well. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mashed banana and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes or so. Remove from heat.
- Place oatmeal into 4 individual serving bowls. Top with soaked raisins and a few shavings of Parmesan cheese.