Healthy Breakfast Porridge
A simple, nourishing breakfast porridge that can be customized to your liking.
Are you looking to mix up your breakfast rotation?
Do you eat the same thing day after day?
I have a great recipe to add to your mix. A healthy and filling porridge that tastes great and will keep you satisfied for hours. It’s a heartier, nuttier take on traditional oatmeal.
This porridge is made from pantry staples. It’s also customizable, keeping the cost down and effort low. Give it a try – I think you’ll love it.
About The Recipe: Healthy, Hearty Breakfast Porridge
This porridge is made up of all sorts of healthy ingredients: oats, seeds, nuts, dried fruit, and coconut oil.
The best thing about it is how easy it is to make: Just throw all the ingredients in a glass jar, add boiling water – and eat it right away, or leave it for tomorrow.
It’s similar to an overnight oatmeal.
For an uncooked, lighter variation, check out this muesli recipe.
Try this simple baked oatmeal – just $.46 per serving!
Customizing This Recipe
Don’t have all the ingredients needed to make this porridge? Improvise!
- Use pumpkin seeds instead of sunflower seeds.
- Substitute chia seeds for sesame seeds.
Avoid making a trip to the grocery store – and save some money too – by using ingredients you already have on hand.
Like what you see? Follow along on Instagram for more cheap and healthy breakfast ideas, money-saving tips, and pretty photos.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sweetener (maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)
- 1 cup boiling water
- Place oats, flax seed meal, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts, cranberries, cinnamon, sweetener, and coconut oil in a glass Mason jar. Add boiling water, stir, and cover.
- The porridge is ready to eat in a couple of minutes. Otherwise, you can place it in the refrigerator overnight, and microwave it in the morning for a hot breakfast. Add additional sweetener, cream or other toppings, if desired.