Cheesy Tomato SPAM-wiches Recipe
These cheesy tomato SPAM-wiches are perfect for an after-school or game day snack. Make the filling ahead of time for a quick and easy snack.
When my brother Shale offered to write a guest blog post for me, I was shocked. Shale is a good writer, so I had no doubt he could write a compelling blog post. But he’s not into cooking – at all. So my first question was “What is your recipe? ” And to that he replied:
“You know – those SPAM sandwiches we always eat when we go visit mom and dad. People would love those!”
So you are officially invited to learn about a family secret of sorts. A highly processed yet undeniably satisfying sandwich that we’ve been eating for decades.
About The Recipe: Cheesy Tomato SPAM-Wiches
Spam, Velveeta and tomato paste: junk food axis of evil or awesome sandwich spread?
In my family, this unlikely combination of foods has served as a tasty, fast and cheap sandwich spread recipe for generations.
It couldn’t be easier to make. Just take an 8-ounce box of Velveeta cheese, a small can of SPAM and a six-ounce can of tomato paste and mash it together. When the ingredients are evenly mixed and a mouth-watering shade of pinkish red, it’s ready to spread and bake.
- For the fancy version: Place a generous portion of the sandwich spread on halved buns or slices of bread and bake at 375 for 10 minutes.
- For the quick and dirty version: Microwave one sandwich for 25 to 30 seconds.
Cheesy tomato SPAM-wiches are perfect for midnight snacks and quick, impromptu meals:
- Need a savory nosh in a hurry? These sandwiches cook up fast.
- Son’s baseball team drop by unexpectedly? This high-protein snack will feed a kitchen full of hungry mouths.
The spread will keep in the fridge for days and satisfy cravings for as long as the bread lasts.
If this cheap sandwich recipe doesn’t sound healthy or palatable, you are half right. It’s not healthy at all! But when SPAM, Velveeta and tomato paste join forces, the result is surprisingly delicious.
Like Sci-Fi? You Should Read My Brother’s Book.
Shale released the sci-fi novella Target Audience in May. The book is available in paperback and on Kindle and Nook devices and apps.
Buy the book:
- 12-ounce can SPAM
- 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- Cube SPAM. Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- If you don't have a food processor, you can mash up all ingredients with a potato masher.
- For toasted sandwiches: Preheat oven to 375F. Place a heaping tablespoon of the SPAM mixture on bread. Bake for 10 minutes, until warm and toasted.
- For microwave sandwiches: Place a heaping tablespoon of the SPAM mixture on bread and microwave for 25 to 30 seconds.