Mango Habanero Chicken Chili
Sweet and spicy might just be the most perfect flavor combination ever. If you like a little hot pepper in your chocolate, sweet and spicy Thai dishes, fruit salsas, or rich desserts with just a hint of spice, you’re going to love this sweet and fiery chili.
About a year ago, I discovered a recipe similar to this on My Man’s Belly. I gave the original a cheap recipe makeover just in time for Chicken Week. If you have any qualms with chicken being dull and flavorless, you have to try it this way.
- If you are short on time, use rotisserie chicken instead of cooking your own.
- I bought a big bag of frozen mango chunks at Trader Joe’s for less than $3.
- Instead of using canned or boxed chicken broth, I used about 2 tablespoons of chicken-flavored Better Than Boullion.
This is the perfect wintertime soup. When it’s cold outside, nothing is better than something hot and spicy. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, and scallions for a heartier meal.
Be sure to check back for more Chicken Week recipes. I am trying to beef up (no pun intended) the currently underrepresented chicken-related content on my blog. That means more cheap chicken recipes for you!
- Olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth (or equivalent water + bouillon)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen mango chunks
- 1/4 cup tomato paste or ketchup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 to 2 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 chopped Roma tomato
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- Heat onion and olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it begins to soften, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic and heat for 20 seconds or so. Add chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Place mango, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, sugar, and habanero peppers in a blender and puree until smooth. Add a little water if necessary.
- Pour mango mixture into chicken broth. Add chicken and tomato. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or so, allowing the flavors to blend.
- Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips, chopped scallions, and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.