Creamy White Chicken Chili
White chicken chili is one recipe you should add to your soup repertoire.
You already know how to make traditional chili
(If not, I have a great recipe for first-time chili makers).
But white chicken chili is just as delicious, in my opinion. But totally different than traditional chili.
So, What Is White Chicken Chili?
Let’s compare and contrast traditional chili vs. white chicken chili:
- Traditional chili is tomato-based, but there are no tomatoes in white chicken chili.
- Traditional chili is usually made with ground beef. White chicken chili is made with – you guessed it – chicken.
- Traditional chili is brothy. This white chicken chili is creamy due to the sour cream and pureed beans.
What Goes In White Chicken Chili?
The ingredient list is quite long, but you probably have many of these ingredients already stocked in your fridge or pantry:
- Onions, jalapeño peppers, and fresh garlic
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken bouillon cubes (less expensive than chicken broth, but either work)
- Sour cream
- Cannellini beans
- Canned green chile peppers
- Fresh lime juice
- Spices: Garlic powder, fajita seasoning, cayenne pepper
- Toppings (optional): Tortilla chips, jalapeño slices, radish slices, shredded cheese, hot sauce, etc.
Is White Chicken Chili Customizable?
Yes! This soup recipe, like a lot of soup recipes, is customizable.
Here are some ideas:
- Like spicy chili? Add more cayenne pepper and jalapeño peppers.
- Not a bean lover? Use one can instead of two.
- Not a chicken lover? Use 1/2 lb. chicken instead of 1 lb. Or substitute turkey instead.
- Following a keto diet? Omit the beans. The chili will be less creamy, but still delicious.
- In a hurry? You can substitute cooked chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken. Just add it to the pot when you add the corn and sour cream.
More Chili Recipes
- Basic chili recipe for beginners
- Smoky whiskey chili
- Mango habanero chicken chili
- Leftover turkey chili
Chili is better with toppings! Here are a bunch of chili topping ideas.
- Olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 5 cups water
- 2 cans (15.5 ounce each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed - Divided
- 3 to 4 chicken bouillon cubes (start with 3 and go from there)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice from 1 large lime
- 2 cans (4.5-ounce each) green chilies
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning (or other Mexican-blend seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- For garnish: Radish slices, jalapeno pepper, cilantro
- Saute chopped onion over medium-high heat in a tablespoon or so of olive oil for about two minutes - until they begin to soften. Add minced garlic and jalapeno and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add chicken and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until chicken is mostly cooked through.
- Add water and bring to a simmer.
- Take 1/2 cup of the beans and a bit of the soup water (if necessary), and puree until smooth. Add this liquid to the soup base.
- Add remaining beans and other remaining ingredients. Add more spices, if desired. Simmer soup for about 10 minutes (or longer) until it thickens.
- Serve soup with desired garnishes.