Veggie Hummus Pizza Recipe
I can’t for the life of me figure out how to introduce you to this pizza (writer’s block, anyone?). Here are five intro lines I’ve come up with over the last 30 minutes:
- I love pizza and I love hummus. But together? Get ready to fall in love with your dinner.
- Unexpectedly delicious is how I would describe this pizza.
- If you’re one of those people who needs to justify eating pizza, this recipe is for you.
- This recipe is part pizza, part appetizer.
- If I was stuck on a deserted island… I will always choose pizza.
I’m attributing this mini writer’s block to back-to-back illnesses and this Minnesota winter that just won’t give up. So as much as I’m lacking in the words department today, please don’t take it out on this pizza. It’s delicious and I think you will agree.
This pizza combines pantry staples in the most delicious way: tortilla shells, hummus, and odds and ends of vegetables. This usually means that you can avoid making a potentially costly trip to the grocery store. Here’s what I paid:
- Homemade tortilla shells = 5 cents each
- Hummus = 58 cents for 1/4 cup
- Vegetables = 30 cents
Total cost for each pizza = 93 cents
Healthier Pizza Options
If you’re crazy about pizza and looking for some healthier options, check out these recipes:
- Superfood pizza
- Bruschetta-style pita pizza
- Healthy alternatives to traditional pizza crust
- Paleo pizza crust made with cauliflower
Otherwise, you should like my Facebook page because I will surely be posting more creative and healthy pizza ideas in the future – and you’ll be the first to know. Thanks for stopping by!
- 4 tortilla shells
- 1 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spread 1/4 cup of hummus on each tortilla shell. Top with red pepper, onions, mushrooms, and jalapeño.
- Place tortilla shells on a pizza pan (or directly on the oven rack for an extra crispy pizza). Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until tortilla shell is toasted. Cut each tortilla shell into fourths. Garnish with cilantro.