Vegetarian Taco Pizza
I’m not going to waste your time today with a story or small talk. Rather, I’m going jump right in and tell you how mouthwateringly delicious this pizza was.
So delicious, in fact, that as I write this at 12:01 a.m., all I can think about is how bad I want a slice.
I Avoided A Costly Trip To The Grocery Store – And Made An Awesome Homemade Pizza Instead
I had no plans of making taco pizza, but after inventorying my fridge and freezer, it started to make sense.
I had a half a package of Smart Ground vegetarian ground meat in the freezer, a ready-made frozen pizza crust, plus odds and ends of fresh ingredients in my fridge:
- Roma tomato
- Red onion
- Pickled jalapenos
- A can of black olives.
I also had a small amount of ranch dressing left, to which I added a pinch of ground jalapeno pepper and some mashed avocado. I used this sauce on top of the pizza for some added flavor. But truthfully, this pizza didn’t need anything extra. The sauce was just icing on the cake.
Money-Saving Tip: Use What You Have
One of the easiest ways to save money on food is to use what you already have at home.
Unless your fridge and cupboards are bare, there is a good chance you could make a meal out of stuff you already have on hand. Like this pizza, which just happened without any real planning.
Announcement! I’ve started posting sneak peeks of upcoming cheap recipes on Instagram. Be sure to follow me to see what’s coming up on the blog.
For pizza base:
- 1 ready-made pizza crust
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2/3 cup Smart Ground Meatless Mexican Crumbles (or seasoned ground beef)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a mix of sharp cheddar and pepper jack)
- Pickled jalapenos
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing
- Pinch of green jalapeno powder
- 2 tablespoons mashed avocado
- Preheat oven to 425F. Top pizza crust with salsa, meatless crumbles, cheese, and jalapeno peppers. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the pizza is cooked to your liking. Remove from oven and allow to sit at room temperature for a couple of minutes before adding fresh toppings.
- Top pizza with lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion, and black olives.
- Blend the sauce ingredients together until smooth. Place in a small plastic zip bag. Snip the end off of the bag and drizzle/pipe the sauce over the pizza. Cut and serve.