Buffalo Chicken Melt Sliders (On a Pretzel Bun)
Some things taste better in melt form. Tuna melts, for example. And patty melts, for sure.
Add these buffalo chicken melts to that list. All the great flavors of buffalo wings in handy slider form. They’re awesome because:
- The contrast: Tangy, creamy, zesty, and sour all in one bite.
- The pickled red onions add a nice crunch (and some pretty color too)
- They’re served on a pretzel bun!!!
I had been eyeing a package of pretzel buns at my local supermarket for awhile. I paid more than I usually pay for 6 buns ($3.99), but I couldn’t resist. They’re cute and taste like fresh baked pretzels.
These sliders are easy to make and perfect for an appetizer or a main course, served with all the buffalo wing fixings (like celery sticks, carrot sticks, and ranch/blue cheese dressing on the side).
That’s really all I have to say about these sliders. They’re delicious and I want one right now. But alas, I took these photos weeks ago and they’re merely a memory by now.
I have some fun projects in the works that I’m excited to share with you in the next couple of months. In the meantime, be sure to follow me on Instagram where I’m posting extra recipes not found on the blog, money-saving tips, and random pretty stuff that I think you’ll enjoy looking at.
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked (or equivalent rotisserie chicken)
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 6 pretzel sliders
For pickled red onions:
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup white or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Pickling spices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Finely chop the chicken.
- Mix chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, cheddar cheese, onion, celery, and garlic powder together. Slice pretzel rolls in half. Top each bottom half with about 2 tablespoons of the chicken filling. Top with blue cheese. Bake for 12 minutes until filling is hot and cheese is melted. Pop the bun tops in the oven for the last 5 minutes of baking to toast.
- Remove sliders from oven and top with pickled red onions.
- To make pickled red onions: Blanch the sliced onions in boiling water for 15 seconds. Drain and put in a small jar with vinegar, sugar, salt, and pickling spices. Store in a covered jar in the fridge. Allow to pickle for 30 minutes before eating, for best flavor. These will last in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.