Creamy Hawaiian Coconut Chicken Soup (With Lots Of Toppings!)
Are you craving a rich, hearty soup with an eclectic mix of flavors? Then you’re probably going to love this creamy Hawaiian coconut chicken soup.
The soup itself is delicious. It’s creamy and tangy with just a hint of sweetness. You really don’t need the toppings. But the toppings make it more fun and interesting.
Do you like your soup with lots of toppings and add-ins? Me too! Get more than 80 creative soup topping ideas.
About The Recipe
This soup was inspired by one of my all-time favorite dishes: Hawaiian haystacks.
Hawaiian haystacks, as the name suggests, consists of a base of white rice, with a creamy chicken sauce – and lots and lots of toppings.
The soup is reminiscent of the Hawaiian haystack sauce. I added some wild rice to the soup, foregoing the white rice, which doesn’t always work well in soups.
The best part of Hawaiian haystacks is what you put on top. And the same goes for this soup: Mandarin oranges add sweetness. Almonds and celery add crunch. Red onion adds a fresh bite.
If you are looking for a unique new soup recipe, give this one a try. And let me know what you think!
- 1 small red onion, chopped (save some for toppings)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped (half for soup base, half for topping)
- Coconut oil, for frying
- Can of cream of chicken soup (10.75 ounces)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons juice from can of mandarin oranges
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cooked chopped chicken (I buy mine off the grocery store salad bar)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Mandarin oranges
- Chopped celery
- Chopped red onion
- Chow mein noodles
- Chopped almonds
- In a large soup pot, saute onions and celery in a tablespoon or so of coconut oil. Cook over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add sour cream, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and mandarin orange juice. Stir in wild rice, chicken, and coconut flakes. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup with lots of toppings and enjoy.