I Got a Professional Color Consultation
When it comes to clothing, colors are an interesting thing. What looks stunning on one person can look drab on another.
Certain colors can literally make you look sick, while others can make you look younger and more vibrant.
I had been toying with the idea of doing a color consultation for awhile, after talking with some of my friends who had done one. I recently had the opportunity to meet with Katie of House of Colour Minneapolis to get my colors done.
And I’m super excited about what I learned.
What Is a Color Consultation?
A color consultation is the process of determining what colors look the best on you.
It’s fun and transformative. In about an hour, the consultant works with you to determine:
- Which season you are: Winter, Spring, Summer or Autumn
- Your “Wow” colors (colors that look especially good on you)
- What makeup colors look best on you
What I Learned
I found out that I’m a summer. Cool, muted tones work best for my skin tone.
After the consultation, I went through my closet and found that a bunch of my favorite clothing items were in my season. Coincidence? Maybe not.
I also went through my closet and identified clothing items that are outside of my season. Not surprisingly, these were pieces that I didn’t love and rarely wore:
The consultation confirmed some things that I already know:
- Silver jewelry looks better on me
- I can’t wear black clothing without looking washed out
- Jewel tones tend to look good on me
But I also learned some new things:
- I can’t do orange lipstick (see below)
- I should avoid black mascara and stick to brown
- There are a lot of colors that I had never considered wearing that actually work for me (eggshell blue, who knew?)
I’m going to be updating this post as time goes on with more learnings. Stay tuned!
Finding The Right Lipstick Shade
Over the years I have purchased SO many orange-hued lipsticks. I loved how alternative yet gorgeous they looked on some people. But coral, tangerine, glossy or matte – none of them worked for me.
Why? During my color consultation, I learned definitively that I have cool-hued skin. Orange shades work for warm skin tones – but they will never work for me. (I wish I had known this before dropping so much cash on orange lipsticks!)
I may not be able to pull off orange shades, but you know what? I can rock a raspberry lip. I can even pull off a cherry red. (Take that, orange!)
As a part of the House of Colour consultation, you learn what shades work for your skin tone.
And the best part? You can buy the lipsticks right there. I ended up purchasing three shades recommended by the consultant. They were $20.00 each.
I’m currently doing a 2-week lipstick challenge – wearing one of my new lipsticks every time I leave the house. So far I am loving how I feel – the lipsticks really brighten my face and I feel put together even if I’m wearing yoga pants.
Final Thoughts: Is It Worth It?
A House of Colour consultation is $195.00.
It’s not cheap, but it may be worth it. Here’s my take:
- A color consultation may be for you if you are interested in making changes to your overall look and want to know what colors look the best on you. When you can easily identify what colors look good on you, the only challenge in shopping is finding clothes that fit.
- A color consultation may not be for you if you are happy with your wardrobe and not interested in changing your look or sticking to a color palette.
Have you done a color consultation? If so, what did you think?
Are you interested in setting up a consultation with Katie of House of Colour Minneapolis? You can reach her via social media or call or text at 612*306*1580.