Gobi Manchurian (Indian Manchurian-Style Cauliflower)
My favorite dish to order at Indian restaurants is gobi Manchurian.
If you’ve never tried it, you’re in for a treat. Gobi manchurian – or Manchurian-style cauliflower – is a popular dish in India. It’s made of fried cauliflower florets, tossed in a flavorful, spiced, tomato-based sauce.
It’s a hearty vegetarian dish that goes great with a side of rice.
I recently ordered this at a restaurant for $13.50. I was able to stretch it into two meals, but I was convinced that I could make it at home for much less.
As long as you have a well stocked pantry, you should be able to make this entire dish for right around $6.00.
This recipe is somewhat time-coming – but oh-so worth it. Here’s what you do:
- Par-cook the cauliflower florets
- Make the sauce
- Coat the cauliflower florets in a seasoned flour and fry
- Mix the cauliflower and sauce together
- Serve over rice
To save time, I buy frozen rice packets at Trader Joe’s. My rice making skills are limited, and I find it much easier and tastier to use frozen packs.
Tip: Use frozen rice to make killer fried rice:
Check out these other cheap Indian-inspired recipes:
- Indian-spiced chickpea and peanut salad
- Indian-spiced bar mix
- Aloo matar: Indian-style pea and potato curry
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- Oil, for frying
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 knob fresh ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Boil a large pot of water. Once water is boiling, add cauliflower florets and cook for 90 seconds. Immediately remove from heat and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- To make sauce: Saute onion and red peppers in olive oil. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for several minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- To fry cauliflower: Mix flour, cornstarch, and spices together. Heat a few tablespoons of cooking oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Dip cauliflower florets in the flour mixture. Proceed with frying the florets, turning so each side turns golden brown.
- Once all of the florets are fried, transfer them to the sauce pan. Heat cauliflower and sauce until hot. Serve with a side of basmati rice or naan bread.