Indian-Spiced Chickpea and Peanut Salad
Are you familiar with the Vacation Food Phenomenon? It’s a term I just made up to describe this curiosity: Any food eaten on vacation tastes better than the same or equivalent food eaten back home.
Am I right?!
Back in September, I visited Vancouver and had the most amazing salad, courtesy of Vij’s Railway Express food truck. It was delicious – and I can only partially attribute that to the Vacation Food Phenomenon. The locals seemed equally smitten with this Indian food truck’s offerings.
Like any good food blogger, I had to recreate this inspiring salad when I got back home.
About The Recipe
This vegetarian bean and peanut-based salad is full of flavor. Fresh ingredients are added (red bell pepper, green onions and fresh lime juice) and the dish is brought together by a tangy, bright dressing.
I stuck to ingredients that I already had on hand to save on cost, and ended up with a salad that tasted quite a bit like the original that I tried in Vancouver.
This was the original salad (below). For authenticity, feel free to add some sliced red onion, fresh peas, and puffed rice. I left those ingredients out so I could use what I already had on hand in the kitchen (and to save some money, of course!)
More Indian-Inspired Recipes
Like foods flavored with Indian spices? Me too! Check out these simple and budget-friendly recipes:
And while you’re here, don’t forget to follow Cheap Recipe Blog on Pinterest. Let’s stay in touch!
- Coconut oil, for frying
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (or other Indian spice mix)
- Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until chickpeas turn golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside. Wipe out skillet.
- Heat another tablespoon of coconut oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add peanuts and stir-fry for a couple of minutes, until peanuts are lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place chickpeas and peanuts in a bowl and toss with curry powder. Place on a serving platter. Top with red pepper and scallions.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously, until well combined. Pour dressing over salad. Serve with lime wedges on the side.