Bacon Jalapeno Twice-Baked Potatoes
Twice-baked potatoes are one of those recipes everyone should know how to make.
They take awhile to make, but they’re worth the effort. They’re hearty, customizable, and extremely affordable.
Feel free to follow my recipe, below, or try one of the variations, below.
Twice-Baked Potatoes, The Method
Here’s the method for making twice-baked potatoes, in a nutshell:
- Potatoes are baked in the oven until cooked through.
- Once cool, the potatoes are cut in half and the insides are scooped out, leaving a potato “shell”.
- The insides are mashed and mixed with all sorts of good things: Sour cream, cheese, meat, veggies, and spices.
- The mixture is put back into the potato shells, topped with cheese, and baked again. Voila!
Twice-Baked Potato Variations
Once you know the basic technique, there are a million different variations you can try:
- Cheese: Cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, Swiss, Gruyere
- Meats: Pepperoni, bacon, chicken, sausage, ground beef
- Veggies: Spinach, onion, red bell pepper, kale, cauliflower, broccoli
- Spices, flavors, and toppings: Jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, parsley, salsa, chives, cayenne pepper, Tabasco sauce
Here are some flavor combinations you could try:
- Pepperoni pizza: Pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, spinach, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning.
- Breakfast: Sausage, cheddar cheese, and egg (make scrambled eggs and pour into a divet in the potato).
- Mexican: Chorizo sausage, pepper jack cheese, red bell pepper, cayenne pepper, and jalapeno.
The Perfect Meal To Bring To a Friend
Twice-baked potatoes are the perfect food to bring to people who may need a meal: New moms, a sick friend, someone who has recently lost a loved one.
Once the potatoes are baked (twice), they can be refrigerated and stored for a day or two in the fridge. Then, they can be reheated.
Reheating instructions: Place potatoes in an ovenproof baking dish. Heat in a 350F oven for about 20 minutes, until heated through.