Spicy Tuna Sushi Bowls (Fully Cooked)
Sushi is one of my favorite foods, but I don’t eat it often because it’s quite spendy.
Fortunately, I’ve found other ways to get my sushi fix without spending $10.00 to $15.00 per roll at a restaurant: I either make it myself at home, or take the easy route and put all of my sushi ingredients in a bowl.
The bowl version is not only delicious – it’s extremely easy to make.
Aside from cooking the rice, you can get dinner on the table in about 10 to 15 minutes. (I buy Trader Joe’s organic brown rice, which takes 3 minutes to prepare in the microwave.)
Sushi Recipes On A Budget
You can enjoy sushi without spending a lot of money. Check out these recipes
About The Recipe
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make.
All of your favorite sushi ingredients are placed on top of a bowl of rice:
- Spicy tuna (I added spicy mayonnaise to canned tuna – and it was delicious. While you could certainly use raw fish for this bowl, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with canned!)
- Black sesame seeds
- Spicy mayonnaise
Customize your bowl: Try adding imitation crab, smoked salmon or another type of fish. Add different vegetables, such as sugar snap peas, radish or roasted Japanese sweet potato. Top with pickled ginger, scallions, seaweed and yum yum sauce. The sky is the limit!
Looking for a non-fish sushi bowl? Substitute tofu for fish, or keep it strictly veggie-based.
- 4 cups cooked rice, prepared according to package directions
- Sushi vinegar, optional
- 2 five-ounce cans tuna
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 3/4 cup frozen edamame, run under cold water
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 avocado
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce (or more if you like a spicier sauce)
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Remove from heat and place rice in a large bowl to cool. Sprinkle on about two tablespoons of sushi vinegar. Sushi bowls can be served with warm or cold rice.
- Mix tuna, mayonnaise, and sriracha sauce.
- Place 1 cup prepared rice in each bowl. Top with tuna, edamame, carrots, avocado, and black sesame seeds.
- Combine ingredients for spicy mayonnaise and place some on top of each bowl.