Super Crispy Oven-Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
Looking to spend less on food?
Incorporating more cheap ingredients into your daily routine is the best way to go. Some of my favorites are potatoes, eggs, rice, carrots, cabbage, beans, and lentils. But finding new ways to make these simple ingredients into a meal can be a challenge.
If you’re looking for some potato inspiration, in particular, I’ve got you covered:
These oven-roasted potatoes are two things: Super flavorful and super crispy.
How To Make Super-Crispy Oven-Roasted Potatoes
I discovered a great technique for making extra-crispy roasted potatoes on Serious Eats:
Basically, the potatoes are par-boiled in alkaline water – that is, water with a small amount of baking soda added. This helps break down the surface of the potato, and makes the exposed skin extra starchy for maximum crunch.
If you want extra-crispy potatoes, don’t skip this step.
After the potatoes are par-boiled, they’re tossed in a generous amount of olive oil and spices and roasted at 450F.
These Potatoes Have All The Spices
I like roasted potatoes with a lot of spices. And I kind of went nuts with these potatoes – but it ended up working out really deliciously.
I used salt and pepper, turmeric, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, fajita seasoning, and smoked paprika. I also added some chopped fresh jalapeno and red bell pepper for more flavor and variety.
Feel free to use your own desired blend of spices.
- 2 pounds new potatoes (or other small potato)
- 1 tablespoon salt (for water)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of the following spices: Turmeric, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, fajita seasoning, smoked paprika
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1/2 finely chopped red bell pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wash potatoes - but don't peel. Cut potato into fourths, or into bite-sized pieces.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil, adding the salt and baking soda. Once water is boiling, add potato chunks. Boil for about 5 to 6 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil and spices. Add cooked potatoes and toss to ensure even coating.
- Place potatoes on a large baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and use a spatula to gently move potatoes around and unstick any stuck potatoes, to ensure even roasting.
- Return potatoes to oven and roast for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, until potatoes are cooked to your liking.