Hungarian Mushroom Soup
This rich and creamy mushroom soup recipe is seasoned with paprika and other spices, and is inspired by soup at Lucky’s Tavern in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota.
In my experience, people either love mushrooms or hate them.
If you’re in the mushroom lover camp, then I have a great recipe for you: Creamy, flavorful, homemade mushroom soup with a Hungarian twist.
About The Recipe
This soup was inspired by the Hungarian mushroom soup I tried at Lucky’s Tavern in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota. Their soup was just awesome – we even ordered a second bowl.
This recipe comes very close to the soup we enjoyed at Lucky’s Tavern.
So what makes this mushroom soup different from other mushroom soup recipes?
- It’s deliciously thick and creamy: The soup is thickened by sour cream. Talk about rich and decadent! But don’t worry – the flavor of the sour cream doesn’t overwhelm the soup at all. It just adds the right amount of tang.
- It contains paprika: What gives this soup a Hungarian edge? The paprika, of course! I used paprika paste (a souvenir from a friend who visited Hungary). But if you don’t have paprika paste, just use regular paprika.
- It’s full of mushrooms: This soup doesn’t skimp on the mushrooms. A whole 8-ounce package of mushrooms is used. If you’re mushroom crazy, feel free to add more.
It’s worth mentioning that this soup is also quite budget friendly. I purchased my grocery items from ALDI. Also, many of the ingredients are pantry staples (onions, chicken bouillon, garlic), so you don’t have to spend money on ingredients you’ll never use again.
Love Mushrooms Or Creamy Soups? Check Out These Recipes:
- 10-minute mushroom toasts
- Creamy Hawaiian coconut chicken soup
- Creamy garlic tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounce package white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 cups chicken stock (or equivalent water + chicken bouillon)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons paprika paste (or 1 teaspoon paprika powder)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Fresh parsley, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large soup kettle over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, until onions begin to soften. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring. Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds before adding chicken broth.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add broth and sour cream to the soup base. Stir in paprika paste, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and dill. Continue to cook for about 10 more minutes, until soup begins to thicken.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.