9+ Creative Ways To Prepare Frozen Waffles
Thanks again to my mom for filling in and providing these yummy ideas!
Frozen waffles: Lazy-day breakfast food, or blank canvas for culinary greatness?
The latter, of course! Frozen waffles can be the starting point for SO MANY DELICIOUS CREATIONS.
And the best part? Because frozen waffles are basically ready to eat (aside from toasting) – it takes VERY LITTLE effort to make something delicious.
Here I am sharing 9+ creative ideas to help you upgrade the humble frozen waffle.
What Kind Of Waffles Should I Use?
I recommend purchasing plain frozen waffles. Any brand will do: Eggo, Aunt Jemima, Kashi, Nature’s Path, Van’s, Birch Bender, etc.
Just keep in mind – plain waffles work best. If you’re making a savory breakfast sandwich, for example, you probably don’t want chocolate chip waffles as the base.
While most of these ideas work best with regular-sized waffles, mini waffles may work as well.
Can I Use Homemade Waffles?
Homemade waffles should work fine for most if not all of these ideas.
However, frozen waffles are the easy choice, inexpensive, and mess-free.
#1: Frozen Waffle Breakfast Sandwich
Frozen waffles serve as the perfect base for an awesome breakfast sandwich.
There are countless options for turning a frozen waffle into a breakfast sandwich, but the basic method is to stack your sandwich like this:
- Frozen waffle, toasted
- A slice of cheese (your choice)
- Egg (over-easy or scrambled work well)
- Meat (bacon or sausage)
- Fresh topping (pickled red onions, avocado, spinach)
#2: Frozen Waffle Pizzas
A frozen waffle can serve as the base of a pizza! Here’s how it’s done:
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Toast waffle
- Place waffle on a baking sheet
- Top with a layer of pizza sauce, cheese, and desired toppings
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and toppings are cooked to desired doneness
Get more alternative pizza crust ideas.
#3: Waffle Kebabs
Layering waffles and fruit on a kebab stick makes for an adorable breakfast. These are perfect for brunch baby showers or bridal showers, or for a kid-friendly breakfast or snack.
- Toast desired number of waffles
- Cut waffles into 4 triangles
- On a kebab stick, layer waffle slices, banana slices, and strawberries
#4: Banana-Chocolate Waffles
There are so many options for topping frozen waffles, but my favorite is this:
- Toasted waffle
- Sliced bananas
- Mini chocolate chips (or cacao nibs)
- Maple syrup
Other sweet topping options include peanut butter, Nutella, honey, fresh berries, nuts, hemp seeds, flax seeds, etc.
#5: Set Up A Frozen Waffle Bar
This is another great idea for a baby shower, bridal shower or any brunch-time celebration. Here’s how it’s done:
- On serving table, arrange for one or two toasters for guests to toast their own waffles
- Set out a variety of waffle toppings:
- Maple syrup
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce
- Other fruits
Each party guest gets to create their own special waffle!
#6: Waffle Quesadillas
Waffle quesadillas are a thicker but just-as-delicious version of traditional quesadillas:
- Top a waffle with desired quesadilla ingredients (shredded cheese, meat (sausage, pepperoni, chicken), and veggies (roasted peppers, avocado, fried onion)
- Place another waffle on top and heat in a quesadilla maker (or an oiled cast iron skillet over medium heat, topped with another heavy pan to weigh it down)
- Serve with quesadilla sides (guacamole, salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, etc.)
#7: Frozen Waffle Sandwiches
The turkey, cream cheese, raspberry jam waffle sandwich pictured above was absolutely delicious. My favorite out of all these ideas! Here’s how to make it:
- Lightly toast two waffles
- Spread with a layer of cream cheese
- Spread a layer of raspberry jam on the cream cheese
- Add a couple of slices of deli turkey
- Grill in a panini press or in a lightly oiled cast iron skillet over medium-heat (put another heavy pan on the top of the sandwich to weigh it down)
- Flip sandwich to toast the other side if using a cast iron skillet
#8: Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
This is the perfect summertime treat that both kids and adults will love. Any flavor of ice cream will work.
- Toast desired number of waffles (you’ll need two for each ice cream sandwich). Let cool.
- Top one waffle with about 1/2 cup ice cream. Put other waffle on top.
- Roll the sides of the ice cream sandwich in sprinkles.
- Store in freezer until ready to serve.
#9: Chocolate-Dipped Waffles
Waffles dipped in chocolate? Yes please!
There’s nothing complex about this idea.
Simply toast desired number of waffles, let them cool, and dip part of the waffle in melted chocolate. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool in the fridge (to harden the chocolate). Voila!
More Frozen Waffle Hacks!
If you’ve stocked up on toaster waffles and still don’t know what to do with them, here are some more ideas:
- Cinnamon toast waffles: Top toasted waffles with butter, cinnamon, and sugar
- Waffle croutons: Toast waffles and cut into crouton-sized pieces. Add to your favorite salad.
- Waffle parfaits with ice cream, berries, and whipped cream
- Sandwiches: Toasted waffles can be used in place of bread for most sandwiches: Grilled cheese, peanut butter & jelly, meat sandwiches, etc.
- Breakfast scramble: Cut up toasted waffles, and mix in with a breakfast scramble of eggs, veggies, meat, and cheese.
- Spicy buttermilk fried chicken and waffle bites
Cupboards, fridge, and freezer full? Get more recipe and meal ideas using pantry staples.