Ground Turkey Tacos
What to make with budget-friendly ground turkey? Try these flavorful ground turkey tacos! Pile on the toppings to make these tacos drool-worthy.
If you are looking for a few budget-friendly meal ideas to add to your dinner rotation (who isn’t right now?!) – then you should definitely consider ground turkey as an essential ingredient.
I purchased 1 lb. package of frozen ground turkey at ALDI for $2.49. This was enough meat to make 8 tacos – 2 per person.
The rest of the ingredients are also quite budget-friendly: Flour tortillas, some basic spices, onion, and toppings.
How To Make Ground Turkey Taste Better
Ground turkey tends to be lacking in flavor and dry.
But I’ve discovered a way to make ground turkey taste really good – on par with ground beef.
The trick? Cooking it in bacon grease.
Yes, bacon grease. (Don’t forget to save your bacon grease and store it in the fridge until ready to use!)
Instead of starting with cooking oil, use bacon grease to give ground turkey more flavor and more of that fat/grease associated with ground beef. Adding fat to ground turkey is the key to making it more flavorful and improving the taste overall.
Another option: When a recipe calls exclusively for ground turkey, use 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 ground beef instead.
Another Ground Turkey Tip
Aside from adding fat to ground turkey to make it taste better (see tip above), I like to go heavy on the seasonings.
I find Mexican spices and flavors ideal to spice up ground turkey. Although I recommend using basic chili powder as one of the seasonings in the ground turkey, you can use whatever Mexican blend seasonings you have on hand.
And don’t stop with the dry spices. Add a squeeze of lime juice, a splash of hot sauce or even a can of green chiles to the ground turkey mixture.
Pile On The Toppings
Sure, these ground turkey tacos are great on their own. But they’re really good when you add toppings such as:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped red onion
- Hot sauce
Save money: Use toppings you already have on hand. Scour your fridge, freezer, and pantry for ideas.
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease (or vegetable oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chicken Better Than Bouillon (or 2 small bouillon cubes dissolved in hot water)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Hot sauce, optional
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 avocado, cut into small pieces
- Optional: Sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, hot sauce
- Heat bacon grease in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened - about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add ground turkey and remaining seasonings. Stir and break up meat until it is browned and very little liquid remains in the skillet.
- To serve: Carefully heat flour tortillas over a gas burner over low heat, until there are some charred spots. Use a tong to flip the tortilla.
- Place about 1/3 cup taco meat in each tortilla, and top with tomatoes, lettuce, and avocado.