Old-Fashioned Cream Cheese Mints Recipe

Old-fashioned cream cheese mints. Can be customized for graduations, baptisms, weddings, showers, and other celebrations.

These mints make me feel just a wee bit nostalgic for the 80’s. You see, I remember these when I was growing up. They would be served at graduation parties, weddings, and other celebrations. As a little girl with no self-control, I would eat these by the handful.

I hadn’t eaten these for – well, decades – until I went home to visit my parents a few weeks ago. My mom and I made a batch, bringing some to Ladies Aid, giving some away to some friends, and eating some ourselves.

How to make homemade cream cheese mints (using rubber mint molds). Click through for recipe!

The Cost

• One 8-ounce package cream cheese = $1.59
  • One 2-pound bag powdered sugar = $1.79
  • Other ingredients (granulated sugar, food flavoring, and food coloring) = $.10

Total cost for entire recipe = $3.48

This recipe makes a boatload of mints. Although I didn’t count, I think I ended up with roughly 120. That’s about two cents per mint. Feel free to half the recipe if you don’t need such a large quantity.

How to make old-fashioned cream cheese mints. Click through for instructions.

Buying Mint Molds

I bought rubber mint molds at a party supply store. You could also check a kitchen supply store or buy them online:

Mint molds, used to make homemade cream cheese mints. Click through for recipe and instructions.

Choosing An Appropriate Mint Mold

Mint molds come in all shapes and are suitable for a variety of occasions:

• Diplomas for graduation parties
  • Hearts for Valentine’s Day
  • Flowers for a wedding
  • A cross for confirmation or First Communion
  • Bottles for a baby shower

Do Cream Cheese Mints Freeze Well?

One of the best things about these cream cheese mints is that they freeze very well. You can make a batch of mints up to a month ahead of time, and they will be ready to go when you need them for your party. Just remember to seal them very well so no air gets in. I recommend double bagging them and placing the bags in a plastic container.

Take the frozen mints out of the freezer 30 minutes before you plan on eating them.

Mints for a baby shower, using a rubber bottle mold. Click through for recipe!

Use your imagination. And have fun with it. These may become part of your party food repertoire – and if you’re lucky, bring you back to the 80’s.

Old-Fashioned Cream Cheese Mints Recipe

Yield: Approximately 120 mints

Total Time: 45 min

For a classic mint taste, use peppermint flavoring. You can also use almond, vanilla, or another flavor. Start with just a drop or two of flavoring and go from there.

• 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 2-pound bag of powdered/confectioners sugar (you may not need a whole bag)
  • Food flavoring (peppermint, almond and vanilla work well)
  • Food coloring
  • Granulated sugar, for coating mints

1. Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, start adding powdered sugar until you reach the consistency of play dough. This will probably be slightly less than a 2-pound bag of powdered sugar. If the dough is sticky at all, keep adding powdered sugar.
  2. Add a drop or two of flavoring and mix to incorporate. Add more flavoring if desired.
  3. Place equal portions of the dough into separate bowls. Add desired food coloring and mix well.
  4. To make mints, take a marble-sized portion of dough, roll it in granulated sugar, and press into a mint mold. Remove mint by inverting the mint mold. The mint should pop right out. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in fridge until ready to serve.

Pin It

18 Responses to “Old-Fashioned Cream Cheese Mints Recipe”

Karen Harris — July 31, 2013 @ 1:46 am

Classic recipes like this never go out of style. Thanks for reminding me about this great little treat. Another great one Haley!

• Haley replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

I take it you had them in Texas/Colorado too?

Melissa — November 27, 2014 @ 10:02 pm

Just wondering if light cream cheese can be used?? Also can they still be packaged as gifts once defrosted??

• Haley replied: — November 29th, 2014 @ 2:05 am

Great question! I think light cream cheese would be okay to use. I know lots of people who make these weeks ahead of time, freeze them, then use them for a special occasion. Freezing yours should be fine if you use regular cream cheese. I can’t guarantee that frozen mints using light cream cheese will work, since there is more water in the light cream cheese. But my gut says you would be fine…
      Let me know how they turn out!

Marietta — December 2, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

If you make these ahead of time and freeze, what is the best storage method?

• Haley replied: — December 3rd, 2014 @ 10:15 pm

I would place them in a large Ziploc bag in a single layer, then remove as much of the air as possible. Or you could place them in a Tupperware container, separating each layer with parchment paper.

Rhonda — January 22, 2015 @ 4:20 am

Could you use a cookie press with this recipe?

• Haley replied: — January 26th, 2015 @ 11:08 pm

Hi Rhonda –
      Although I’ve never tried, I do not think that a cookie press would work for this. I don’t think the dough is hard enough? But I could be wrong. Definitely let me know if you try it and it works.

Cindy Maple — March 30, 2015 @ 6:08 pm

I will be making this recipe for my Grand daughter’s wedding We will be putting them at each table for the guest. It is pretty and it looks like something that would be very yummy for the quest. I am looking for other ideas to add to it. I will need to make ahead because the wedding is in May and will be outside.

• Haley replied: — March 31st, 2015 @ 2:22 am

These mints can be made ahead of time, so you can avoid some last-minute stress before the wedding. Good luck!

Staci — May 10, 2015 @ 10:35 pm

If you freeze these how long does it take to defrost and do you defrost on the counter or in the fridge?  Once set out for guests how long can the maintained at room temp before getting too soft?  Plan to use for a grad open house that is several hours long.

• Haley replied: — May 12th, 2015 @ 3:00 am

Hey Staci,
      These mints can be eaten frozen – they don’t get that hard. However, I would take them out of the freezer 30 minutes before you plan on serving them. Also, they don’t melt and get too soft (unless you live somewhere really hot!) so don’t worry about that. Good luck! Send me a photo if you end up making them – I’d love to see them!

Daresa Hogeland — May 13, 2015 @ 5:10 pm

How long do these stay good in the refrigerator? I want to make them for graduation and was wondering if they would stay fresh for a week?

• Haley replied: — May 13th, 2015 @ 5:37 pm

They would probably be fine wrapped tightly and stored in the fridge. But just to be sure, I would put them in the freezer.

Megan — May 31, 2015 @ 4:48 pm

I am thinking about making these for my sister’s bridal shower. I want to wrap a few for each guest. Do you think a small bag would be okay? Or perhaps a small jar of some sort? My main concern is how soft they will get at room temperature.

• Haley replied: — June 1st, 2015 @ 2:06 am

I think they should be fine. They’re quite firm. If you’re worried, just keep them in the fridge until you pass them out to guests.

Ginger — June 17, 2015 @ 1:13 am

Do you have to dip them in granulated sugar?

• Haley replied: — June 17th, 2015 @ 4:36 pm