Lentil, Feta, Grape and Walnut Salad Recipe
I seem to always fall into the rut of preparing lentil-based dishes the same way.
Typically, I make a basic lentil soup with whatever vegetables I happen to have on hand.
While there’s nothing wrong with this, I love discovering new ways to combine flavors. Which is why I was so excited to discover this lentil, feta, grape, and walnut salad recipe in Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine.
Start Out With A Perfect Batch Of Lentils
Since lentils are the base of this salad, you’ll want to make sure your lentils are cooked perfectly.
The process isn’t difficult, but there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind if you want tender (but not mushy) lentils. Learn how to make a perfect batch of lentils.
About The Recipe
In this recipe, which I altered slightly, lentils are combined with the fresh flavors of grapes, celery, Feta cheese, and walnuts. The grapes add a nice sweetness. The salad is brought together by a sweet and tangy dressing.
If you’re stuck in a rut like I was, try this unique and budget-friendly lentil-based salad.
More Affordable Lentil Recipes
Lentils are one of the most budget-friendly foods out there. A large bag of lentils, enough for several meals for several people, costs right around $1.50.
If you’re trying to save money on food, incorporate more lentils into your diet. Here are some lentil-based recipes to try:
- Lentil dip with fried lemons
- Balsamic strawberry lentil salad
- Lentil and chicken sausage soup
- Tomato and lentil soup
- Lentil-sausage soup
- Curried lentil burgers
- 3/4 cup dried lentils (brown or french)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups red seedless grapes
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice from one lemon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add lentils. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Drain lentils and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Toast walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat until lightly browned. Chop walnuts. Halve grapes. Cut celery into thin slices. Combine all salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
- To make dressing, whisk red wine vinegar, lemon juice and honey together. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Pour dressing over salad and mix. Season with fine grain sea salt, if desired.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food