Spicy Cornbread Salad
The final stop on my week-long roadtrip cutting through the center of the country – from eastern Minnesota to western Tennessee and back – was at the Starboard Market in Clear Lake, Iowa.
It’s one of my favorite restaurants, but it’s more than two hours from where I live, so I can’t go often.
I’ve been there three times and have been so impressed with their creative menu and array of salads and scratch-made desserts. This time, I tried a cornbread salad. I loved it so much that I had to try my own version soon after I came back.
About The Recipe: Cornbread Salad
This cornbread salad recipe is interesting, combining the slightly sweet flavor of cornbread with the saltiness of olives and spiciness of jalapenos.
This is a very versatile recipe – if you’re not into spicy food, you could certainly substitute other flavors as well. You could add in virtually any ingredient that you would put in a traditional macaroni or potato salad: onions, green peppers, bacon, celery, cheese, etc.
This is a budget-friendly recipe for a couple of reasons:
- Cornbread is the base of this salad. Next time you are making cornbread as a part of your meal, make a double batch and use the rest for this salad.
- You can easily substitute any add-ins that you happen to have on hand, allowing you to use up extra ingredients instead of buying more.
Want another Starboard Market (copycat) recipe? Check out my rendition of cheesy cornbread soup!
- One batch of cornbread (8x8 or 9x9-inch pan size)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or more, depending on your preference)
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup jarred jalapenos (not fresh)
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon
- Handful of pecans, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 carrot, shredded
- Cayenne pepper
- Ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Crumble prepared cornbread in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix mayonaise with spices and desired add-ins. Combine cornbread with the mayonnaise mixture. Add in more mayonnaise if desired. Chill and serve.