The Best Black Bean Soup Recipe
I’ve spent the last few weeks perfecting my black bean soup recipe. It was a delicious trial-and-error process.
Now, I’m well aware of the risks associated with calling any recipe “the best”, and I suppose that’s as subjective a statement as any – but I really do love this soup. Here’s why:
- Heat: I like my food spicy, and this soup has just the right amount from the jalapeño and adobo sauce.
- Sweetness: The corn adds a touch of sweetness. I used fire-roasted corn from Trader Joe’s (love this stuff!)
- Acid: The red wine vinegar adds the perfect, if unexpected, finishing touch.
Black bean soup can be as be as easy (and cheap) as adding your favorite salsa to black beans and heating. But I think this recipe is more fun.
What You’ll Need
- Onion: I prefer red onion in this soup, but white or yellow onion will work fine
- Black beans: Canned or dried
- Tomato salsa: Use your favorite regular tomato salsa for this recipe
- Jalapeno pepper: Use 1 small pepper with seeds removed for a slightly spicy soup
- Sweet corn: The sweeter, the better!
- Garlic powder
- Adobo sauce: From a can of chipotle peppers – for spice and smokiness
- Red wine vinegar: The secret ingredient!
If you prefer a smoother, creamier black bean soup, try this black bean soup with orange-jalapeño salsa. It costs just $1.57 for four servings.
- Olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet corn (I used fire-roasted corn)
- 1 small tomato, chopped (use half for soup and half for topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Sour cream
- Chopped tomatoes
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese
- In a medium saucepan, saute onions in olive oil for about two minutes, until onions begin to soften. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Top with fresh tomatoes, sour cream, cheese or cilantro, if desired.