Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprouts Hash With Chipotle Crema
I’m a vegetable girl. I would choose vegetables over fruit any time.
This doesn’t necessarily guarantee a balanced diet, but it definitely satisfies my cravings.
What some people might consider a vegetable-based side dish, I consider a meal.
Case in point, this medley of vegetables. It contains two of my favorite vegetables, which just happen to be super foods: sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts.
And although the hash itself was tasty on its own, the addition of the chipotle cream sauce makes the dish irresistible.
If this doesn’t fit your idea of a main dish, serve it for breakfast (with an egg on top) or as a side dish.
Love Brussels Sprouts? Check Out These Recipes.
Get the recipe: Fully loaded Brussels sprouts
- 1 large sweet potato
- 10 to 12 Brussels sprouts
- 1 medium onion
- Olive oil, for frying
- Chipotle spice blend, optional
For chipotle crema
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (make your own for paleo diets)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (exclude for paleo version)
- Start by prepping the vegetables. Peel sweet potato and grate. Chop onion into small pieces. Cut stems off of Brussels sprouts and peel off any browned outer leaves. Cut into fourths.
- Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Add onions and cook for a couple of minutes to soften. Add sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Season with salt. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes to brown. Flip and repeat. Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes total, or until browned.
- To make chipotle crema, mix adobo sauce, mayonnaise, and sour cream together. Add a bit of milk to thin out the sauce, if desired. Drizzle over hot vegetable hash and enjoy.