BLT Variations Recipes
Bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches definitely make my list of top 10 favorite foods.
They are quick and easy to make, cheap, and very adaptable, as you will see below.
Perfection in a sandwich, in my humble opinion.
The trick to making a really good BLT, in my opinion, is to make sure that you use the highest quality ingredients possible:
- Use quality bread
- Buy the freshest of summer tomatoes and lettuce
- Don’t skimp on the bacon
I prefer to bake the bacon instead of fry it for a BLT sandwich. This will yield bacon that is crisp but not greasy, and perfectly formed to lay flat on the sandwich.
It’s easy to feed a big group of people on a budget by making BLTs. All you need is a loaf of bread and toaster, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, and a jar of mayonnaise.
This is my family’s go-to summertime meal when we don’t want to heat up the house by cooking inside.
Don’t get me wrong , BLT sandwiches are great just the way they are. Stacked high with layers of crisp bacon, lettuce, juicy tomatoes and slathered with mayo.
But eating the same sandwich day after day can get boring.
Here are some creative BLT sandwich ideas:
- Bacon, basil, and tomato (as seen in photo above)
- Bacon, arugula, and tomato
- Bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado
- Bacon, lettuce, and oil-packed sun dried tomatoes
- Bacon, lettuce, tomato, and grilled chicken
- Bacon, lettuce, tomato, and turkey
- Bacon, lettuce, tomato and smoked salmon
- Bacon, lettuce, tomato, and fried egg
- Bacon, lettuce, tomato, and cheese
Alternative Sauces For a BLT
In lieu of traditional mayonnaise, try one of the following sauces:
- Bacon mayonnaise (in photo above)
- Ranch dressing
- Chipotle mayonnaise
- Sriracha mayonnaise
- Comeback sauce
- Pesto mayonnaise
- Lemon aioli
- Horseradish sauce
Alternative Breads For a BLT
Also, experiment with other types of bread (such as multi-grain, sourdough, foccacia or even a croissant).
You can also experiment with different types of lettuce other than traditional iceberg (such as romaine or arugula). If you have other ideas, please share them below!
Get the recipe: BLT pizza
Get the recipe: Deluxe BLT salad
Get the recipe: A build-your-own BLT platter